Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Emergency Tire Chains

SD_Prairie_Goat

Ran across this new product on Amazon, with no product reviews, what does everyone think about these chains?

Here is what I see as a plus: very cheap if they work, easy to put on once you're stuck

The negatives: Tough to tell if they are just cheap junk, straps are a weak point for sure, but if they are semi replaceable that's not the end of the world, not sure how good the chains will really work, but adding additional chain supports is probably easy enough to do to make them more aggressive.

Let me know what your thoughts are, and keep in mind that these are not "going out into the mountains every weekend (SD is flat....) chains", more emergency type chains to use in a tough spot that I don't expect to have to drive 50 miles on regularly and as such, don't want to pay $200 a pain of chains for something that may never be used...

There's some real bad english in that listing...like translated-from-Chinese-for-a-company-on-Amazon-who-doesn't-make-snow-chains bad english...I bet you'll get what you pay for with those!

Better than none at all at best. They are not all that expensive to buy regular heavy duty tire chains. I have one for each tire on my pickup. Never know when you are going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. I recommend everyone have a full set even on the best 4WD with good off-road tires.

Looks like they may tear off and cause damage.But then so can "Real" chains.
We bought the "Real "chains years ago,have only used them once. 🔥

Wayyyy better than chains when you're stuck in mud, snow, or sand.

I was going to ask what happens if you turn the wheel sharply when on the front. Then I saw you dont turn the wheel lol.

I saw a guy do that with 2x4's one time on a You Tube video.
They kept falling off but he was persistent and got out.
He was covered in mud from head to toe.Ha!,Ha! 🔥

I was going to ask what happens if you turn the wheel sharply when on the front. Then I saw you dont turn the wheel lol.

I thought about going that route of the truckclaws, but I couldn't justify the price, but probably need to look into them a little more...

I ordered the ratchet strap chains to see what they were like (free returns if I want to do that).

They seem fine for what I would need them for most the time being in the flat land. The only thing I wish was different would be that they have thicker chains (Larger diameter for the snow), they are fairly low profile which won't really help a ton on snow (but would on ice still).

Still trying to decide if I should keep them, modify them with beefier chains, or give them to the GF for her car just in case and go get thicker chains. Problem with that last option is the chains I would want are too expensive for the limited use they may see.

Lastly, one issue I see with chains is trying to get them one once I am stuck in the snow. This will be their use 99% of the time: driving down a minimal maintenance road looking for a road rooster, get stuck in a snow drift. Slap on ratchet chains, back out.Not sure how to put on normal tire chains in that situation?

Ratchet chain in case you were curious how they look:
file-9.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back