Emergency Elk Season Closure - Gallatin County Montana

The temperature when I got out of the truck was -14°.

I sweat no matter what, and when it would get in my eyes they'd threaten to freeze shut. When I broke my mustache-icicles off the hair came with em.

Wasn't Gallatin County, but the same closure seemed to apply to Jefferson County - had the mountain to myself. Literally, the elk were 2,000 feet below me.

Attachments

• COLD.jpg
    COLD.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,542
I too would like a second... this is the first time I haven't had my elk tag for rifle season and its making me sad... I do plan to drag girl friend around up there...but now the weather is gonna get all balmy and the elk are gonna sleep all day!!

GH... you got a tough kid to drag around up there..... I am kind of surprised I have seen that grip and grin yet?

Ha. You can add me to the list of pussies. :) Glassed up elk in 4 different drainage this morning, didn't have time to make a run for them, just wanted to get an idea of where all the "pressure" pushed them this weekend. Apparently not as far as I figured. Now to decide which one to hunt in the morning. If I could just get my homework done so I could play...

Elk seem to be like lemmings, and behind every bush it seems. I thought the wolves ate all them?

Saw a handful of hunters in about 20 miles worth of country.

Its an all out rut fest too. Bucks losing their minds everywhere I look.

Bambistew, it is standard practice to share those hunting spots with those who have documented histories of not being a pussy. I will be going out tomorrow. It will be in the 30s so I might have to go shirtless.

Good to see ice boogers. Toby Bridges has really improved the elk hunting around here. Thanks man.

My elk hunt is in 10 days. The wife checked the weather and its supposed to have a low of about 30 degrees. For some of us Arizona natives it might as well be 3 degrees. Im trying to figure out how to hunt in my sleeping bag. HA HA HA

Thats awesome. I hope it was a long pack with lots of sliding and at the end your muscles were aching.

If it was easy you wouldnt remember it very as well.

I'm very proud of him. He stuck with it, hunted in some very cold weather, hurdled a lot of deadfall, fell on his ass a ton of times, froze and bled a little bit this season. He did a very difficult cross mtn deadfall scramble (a mile's worth) to get in position for this guy then had to wait for nearly 2 hours for him to stand up for a clear shot. Two shots right in the engine with a good friend's rifle that he used also on an antelope and whitetail buck this fall.

The Dude's toughness is unquestionable. Super cool photo with a well earned public land trophy. Congrats to you both.

I'm very proud of him. He stuck with it, hunted in some very cold weather, hurdled a lot of deadfall, fell on his ass a ton of times, froze and bled a little bit this season. He did a very difficult cross mtn deadfall scramble (a mile's worth) to get in position for this guy then had to wait for nearly 2 hours for him to stand up for a clear shot. Two shots right in the engine with a good friend's rifle that he used also on an antelope and whitetail buck this fall.

Tell him congrats Kurt! He's turning out to be just like his old man!

I helped Jake fine tune that rifle last week...it really shoots!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back