PEAX Equipment

Elk/Venison Shanks,Oso Bucco type recipes?

hank4elk

Having a hard time coming up with a recipe I can remember for shanks.
The ex(an excellent chef) would do Oso Bucco style shanks,spare ribs and such braised & slow cooked
Can't find my Rinella CB and nothing like it it any of my other game cook books.
I had some elk shanks frozen & cut into disks for this and wondering what ideas any one had.
I save all other shanks, deer or elk whole for slow cooking.
Lodge skillet or pot in oven ?
2 crock pots and neither works today...lol ,wore them out I guess.

Here is one I did a while back, using Hank Shaw's method:

For this rainy day, I cooked up elk osso buco, basically elk shank stew. I saved the front and rear shanks off the elk, and have six or eight bags of these as they were so large. Here is what the looked like getting browned in my dutch oven - note this a 6-qt for a size perspective.

The preparation is pretty simple:
1. Coat top and bottom of shank with seasoned flower and brown in olive oil.
2. Saute a med white onion, 3-4 celery sticks, one bell pepper and some garlic until translucent.
3. Add browned shanks on this bed.
4. Add one can of stewed tomatoes.
5. Toss in your root veggies. I used carrots and turnips from my garden.
6. Fill with stock until level is about 1/4" from top of the shanks.
7. Put in 300 degree oven for about five hours.
8. I took the top off at hour four to let the liquid reduce a bit and thicken up.

We served this over cheese grits, but would equally good over rice.

I cooked a roast this same way, and it was great.

Thanks guys,exactly what I was looking for.
Stuff is killer on everything from grits to pasta or spuds.
LOL,I found the recipe as soon as I went to his site. I had it bookmarked...what can I say.
I'm retired, with time on my hands,just can't remember where I put it some times.
The ex replied to me with 6 versions and a bonus if I send her frozen elk shanks.....I'm afraid to ask about the bonus...lol
She said use your imagination........ and whats at hand too.

Out of polenta,
but I have rice and couscous ,pasta,spuds to choose from.
Going to throw in a couple chili pods for NM zing. A cup of red wine to civilize.

I use the same recipe, but smoke the whole shanks with cherry wood for an hour or so. I usually use the shanks to fill the smoker when something else is going in. I also prefer gnocci as my starch of choice with osso bucco

I made some elk shanks last year and they were delicious. Now that I know how long to cook them I will never waste those shanks for ground meat again.

I use the same recipe, but smoke the whole shanks with cherry wood for an hour or so. I usually use the shanks to fill the smoker when something else is going in. I also prefer gnocci as my starch of choice with osso bucco

I have one bag left and will totally be smoking them first. Thanks for the reminder!

may16 007.jpg
Came out real tasty.
I had flash off last night and was too hungry to mess with it.
Had it on rice.
The EX would not approve of the presentation....lol
Here's left overs for dinner with neighbor tonight.

Attachments

• elk oso bucco 001.JPG
    elk oso bucco 001.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Back