Elk Slip n Slide

It's an elk.

It's an elk.

They do have Rocky Mountain elk in NZ. They’ve even interbred with the Red Stag.

They do have Rocky Mountain elk in NZ. They’ve even interbred with the Red Stag.
Interesting reading material regarding elk and red stags in New Zealand.
Red Stag introduced in 1860 and Rocky Mountain Elk in 1905.

Would be interesting to hear from a couple of our NZ HT members ( @kiwi hunter ) regarding the interbreeding of the two. Apparently the only wild herd of elk are in a National Park while the other elk re private land and bred for serious antler growth... up to 450(????) though not Boone and Crockett scored validity, if I understood from the reading.

one article noted:
"Some farmers crossbred red deer with wapiti (North American elk). The progeny grow faster than red deer and have bigger antlers. Wapiti were captured in Fiordland and put on deer farms throughout the country. Their numbers were boosted by imports from Canada, although health issues have now closed that source of animals. Farmers of red deer often buy in a wapiti–red crossbred bull, which they breed with red deer hinds, selling the progeny for venison."

I wonder if it still would have fallen if the guy wasn’t pursuing it. Was it only attempting that escape route due to the person at the bottom.

Yes we have both deer and elk in NZ.

Wild elk are in Fiordland, where the video was filmed. The deer and elk interbred and I’d say the animals are hybrids. There isn’t really any pure bred wild elk as far as I know.

There are many elk on farms and used for meat or hunting safaris.

A couple of days ago my son shot a 10 point elk red hybrid. It clearly had elk blood based on body size and coat colour.

We have seven deer species, with sika and reds also interbreeding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back