Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Roast

WV Hunter

I've got a large chunk of Elk bottom round roast I want to cook in the crock pot. Usually my wife will make a regular type roast in there but she is working 3 12 hour shifts at the hospital this weekend so I can't ask her for tips on cooking this. What do I need to put in the crock pot with this piece of meat? I can use a grill pretty good but other than dropping in this meat and turning it on, I don't know what I am doing. I've got some sweet potatoes but that's about it. What do I need to get from the store?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/london-broil-for-the-slow-cooker/

London Broil for the Slow Cooker

recipe image
Rated: rating
Submitted By: Yvonne
Photo By: Pam-3BoysMama
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 7 Hours

Ready In: 7 Hours 10 Minutes
Servings: 5
"This recipe for the slow cooker is a great way to make a tasty and tender meal out of some London broil, cream of mushroom soup, and a handful of seasonings."
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds London broil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of mushroom
soup

1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
1. Place the London broil in a slow cooker; add the garlic, mushroom soup, water, basil, oregano, and salt; cover; cook on low 6 to 7 hours.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 5/12/2012

The good news is that it's hard to screw up a crock-pot recipe :) Just don't let the liquid level get too low and don't over season it.

If you want bbq, do roast,1/2 to 3/4 bottle of Stubbs or other sauce, half a beer, water to cover and a little pepper, cook till it falls apart. If you want to get fancy you can add a jar of salsa to this.

If you want pot roast, put roast, minced garlic, diced or sliced onions, chunks of carrot, quartered potato (sweet and/or regular), salt and pepper and spice to taste. If you're worried about the spices, they sell packets of seasoning for stew/roasts that you can just mix in, if you use the packet, hold the salt.

Good luck!

1 can of cranberry sauce, the kind with whole cranberries, smeared over top of the roast. Then, sprinkle a packet of dry onion soup over. Dump in a can of beer around the roast, and throw in a couple handfuls of small red potatoes. 6-8 hours on low.

They all sound pretty good. Not sure what to do now but I'll figure it out and I'm sure it will be delicious.
Thanks for the ideas.

You could just get some pot roast seasoning from the store and add some potatoes and carrots.In other words, just make it like regular pot roast.Crock pot is the best way to go.After this coming season, you'll have alot more elk to cook

Back