Elk processing- French rack?

R.K.

Hypothetically speaking- if you could get an elk out whole, would you try to keep a section of loin on the ribs for a standing rib rack/frenched rack?

Purely hypothetical, of course.

Why do you have to get the elk out whole?
You don’t have to. But when you can, you do.

Obviously not public, so I’m debating if I make a post in the main forums. Friend’s place, had a bunch of people out for deer camp. I just happened to spot a couple lost bulls, and it was game on- my first elk ever. Another friend cleaned up for the double.

65405CA4-1473-4A05-993D-16CBD386820F.jpeg

Last edited:
Never seen a whole elk with my tag on it.
I like the idea,though.
I’m quickly finding out it’s a whole mess of logistics. I was set up to deal with quarters, not this. At least it’s cold enough to hang. After I do some construction.

I've done the French Rack method on deer - but not Elk. It's totally do-able in the field if you pack a Wyoming Game Saw - or a sharp hatchet. Might be awkward in the game bag, but it would work. I'd say R.K. is in a perfect spot to do it on this elk.

Hell yeah you can. Just can't do it with the gutless method which I never do anyways. You can also get some porterhouse cuts that way if you want which are really fantastic for elk.

When I quartered elk in Colorado, I cut the ribcage in half and put each in it's own quarter bag. You may need to cut each side in half again to get it to fit unless you can get hold of extra large ones or something.

When I quartered elk in Colorado, I cut the ribcage in half and put each in it's own quarter bag. You may need to cut each side in half again to get it to fit unless you can get hold of extra large ones or something.
No need on this one.

I was a able to get a chain hoist, but had to add a support and beef up the beam. With highs under 35 for the next week, I think I’ll dry age it some in the garage while I try to find freezer space.

I knew elk weren’t deer, but MAN did I underestimate the differences. I’ve butchered a boatload of deer, and I may have underestimated this undertaking.

Attachments

• E8577576-4ACF-4666-9424-171D8C6D85D9.jpeg
    E8577576-4ACF-4666-9424-171D8C6D85D9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hell yeah you can. Just can't do it with the gutless method which I never do anyways. You can also get some porterhouse cuts that way if you want which are really fantastic for elk.
I think I’m going to pass on the porterhouse- that’s more saw work than I want to do, especially if I try cross cut shanks. Facing down enough work as-is.

I’ll probably vacuum seal pairs of 6oz tenderloin chops, do a French rack from one side, and pairs of tomahawk chops from the other. Undecided on the strip loin- either 1/4 loin sections, or paired butterfly chops.

sounds good

unfortunately the state I currently live in has CWD laws that mandate bringing cervid meat from out of state has to have no/zero bones in it -
I can see the spine and brain, but absolutely no bones grumps me sometimes

anyhow, such is life

Back