ELK POACHED

Ten Bears

Elk Poached South of Williams

The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking the public’s help in solving a bull elk poaching south of Williams near the Drake area, possibly on Sunday, Oct. 5.

Game and Fish is offering up to a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the individual or individuals involved in the elk poaching in Hunt Management Unit 8. Call Operation Game Thief at 1-800-352-0700. Callers can remain anonymous and still qualify for the reward.
http://www.azoutdoorsman.com/topstory/Archive/2002/Elk%20Poached%20South%20of%20Williams.htm

Time to ban elk hunting. ;)

Public Help Sought in Unit 8 Elk Poaching Case

The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking the public’s help in solving a poaching case in Game Management Unit 8 southwest of Williams that occurred on Saturday, Sept. 6.

A trophy bull elk was unlawfully killed in the vicinity of Dutch Kid Knoll. An archery deer hunt was underway in Unit 8 at the time, and hunters in the area are urged to report any suspicious activity. The Game and Fish Department is offering a reward of up to $750 for information leading to the arrest of the individual or individuals involved in the poaching.

To report information on this or any Game and Fish violation call the department’s Operation Game Thief hotline at (800)352-0700. Caller identities will remain confidential upon request. Information may also be given directly to the Flagstaff Game and Fish office at (928) 774-5045.

*Information provided by Arizona Game & Fish Department

Public Information Officers: Rory Aikens (602) 789-3214, [email protected] Marijke Van Fleet (602) 789-3377, [email protected] Eric Boardley (602) 789-3223, [email protected] Tom McMahon (602) 789-3216, [email protected]
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/News/aznews091603.htm
Information Sought on Two Elk Poachings in Eastern Arizona

PINETOP, Ariz. - The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking the public's help finding the individuals involved in poaching two bull elk in eastern Arizona during late August.

Bruce Sitko, information officer in the department's Pinetop office says, "On Aug. 24, a bull elk was killed in Game Management Unit 1, near the intersection of the Big Lake Road and Forest Road 112. The individuals shot the bull with a rifle and took only the head. Several pieces of evidence were located at the scene and some witnesses have already been interviewed."

A second elk was killed in the Brushy Mountain area of Unit 3B. This 6x5 bull was shot and left in the field on or about Aug. 24 or 25.

"At the time of the two poachings, both Unit 1 and Unit 3B had archery deer, turkey and bear hunts in progress," adds Sitko. "These units had numerous hunters in the field and the department is looking for any information that could help solve these cases."

To report information on these or any Game and Fish violation call the department's Operation Game Thief hotline at (800) 352-0700. Caller identities may remain confidential upon request; callers are eligible to receive a reward of up to $500 per case upon the arrest of the violators. Information may also be given directly to the Pinetop Game and Fish office at (928) 367-4281.
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/News/aznews091003.htm

Information Sought on Two Elk Poachings Near Show Low

PINETOP, Ariz. - The Arizona Game and Fish Department is seeking information from the public that could help lead to thearrest of the individuals responsible for the illegal killing of two bull elk in an area immediately north of Show Low.

Bruce Sitko, information officer in the department's Pinetop office says, "On Oct. 8, a bull elk was killed in Game Management Unit 3C southeast of the Telephone Pole Lake area. The individual(s) involved took only the antlers, leaving the remainder of the carcass to go to waste."

A second elk was killed less than a week later near Lone Pine Dam. This 6x6 bull was shot with a .22-caliber rifle, and left in the field on or about Oct. 14.

To report information on these, or any Game and Fish violation, call the department's Operation Game Thief hotline at (800) 352-0700. Caller identities will remain confidential upon request. Callers are eligible to receive a reward of up to $500 per case upon the arrest of the violators. Information may also be given directly to the Pinetop Game and Fish office, or by calling the office at (928) 367-4281.
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/News/aznews110503.htm

Information Sought on Elk/Deer Poachings Near Hutch Mtn

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The Arizona Game and Fish Department is asking the public for help solving the poaching of a bull elk and a mule deer doe southeast of Flagstaff, possibly during the Thanksgiving weekend.

The elk and deer were found near Forest Service Roads 135 and 135B, in the Hutch Mountain Lookout Road area of Game Management Unit 5B. Arizona Game and Fish Department officials received information about the poaching on Dec. 1 and officers suspect the incident occurred around the Thanksgiving weekend. Both animals were shot and left in the field to waste. The antlers were removed from the bull elk.

A reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the illegal take. Anyone with information should call Operation Game Thief at (800)352-0700.
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/News/aznews122203.htm

Again???? ;)

Elk Poaching Prompts $750 Reward

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - The Arizona Game and Fish Department is offering up to a $750 reward for information about the poaching of two cow elk and the wounding of a third elk on the evening of April 10 in Hunt Unit 7 East, north of Flagstaff.

The poaching occurred north of the San Francisco Peaks and Saddle Mountain, about one-half mile east of Highway 180 near Forest Road 523.

Wildlife officers said it is unknown how many people were involved, but it is apparent that the poacher or poachers shot into an elk herd, killing two cow elk and wounding another. Evidence found at the scene indicates that a .30-30-caliber rifle was used and nine shots were fired. The two killed elk were left in the field and the wounded elk has not been recovered.

The Game and Fish Department is offering a reward up to $750 for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons involved in the poaching case. Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to call the department's Operation Game Thief Hotline at 1-800-352-0700.
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/News/aznews042103.htm

2 Elk Poached Near Seligman

A poached elk was dumped north of Seligman Jan. 10 or 11 and the Arizona Game and Fish Department is offering up to a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons involved.

Wildlife Manager Tim Pender says the elk remains were dropped along the Chino Wash Road north of Seligman in Unit 10, probably on or about Jan. 10 or 11. Anyone with information in this case is encouraged to call Operation Game Thief at 1-800-352-0700.

Media Contact: Tom McMahon, (602) 789-3216.
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/News/aznewsv51n3a.htm

With all this poaching going on, I just can't see how hunting should be legal.......

Ten,

Thanks for making the point on how we need to close more of the Forest Service lands off to motorized vehicles. It is quite obvious that poaching and access by fat-assed ATVs are directly related....

</font>
  • a bull elk was killed in Game Management Unit 1, near the intersection of the Big Lake Road and Forest Road 112</font>
  • The elk and deer were found near Forest Service Roads 135 and 135B, in the Hutch Mountain Lookout Road area</font>
  • The poaching occurred north of the San Francisco Peaks and Saddle Mountain, about one-half mile east of Highway 180 near Forest Road 523.</font>
  • Wildlife Manager Tim Pender says the elk remains were dropped along the Chino Wash Road north of Seligman</font>
Gosh, I wonder if some money was spent "educating" these fat-assed atv riders would the poaching be reduced??? :rolleyes:

Elkgunner, Unfortunately education won't stop most of the poachers, here in California there is an 800 number people can call to turn in poachers, the only time I've heard it used is when one of the guts on NAHC BB turned himself in for shooting a doe by mistake.

scotty, The Citizen's Against Poaching 800 number hotline in Idaho gets hundreds of calls every year turning in info on poachers. More than half of the citations given out by Idaho F&G officers come from CAP calls. It works in plenty of other states, too.

Do you have any actual information on the CA 800 number and it's success?

What is a cap call?
I live in minnesota, the program here is TIP. turn in poachers, and there is a $500 reward for turning in a poacher if convicted. The program is completely anonymous for the person who turns someone in. Well it turns out that over 70% of the calls originated from the wives of the offenders. The primary reason is they know hunting and fishing priveledges get revoked for 3 years, so their hubby's will be at home more.
marty

Probably "all" of these elk were killed by illegal alien poachers who sell the antlers at park and swap! This claim makes about just as much sense as blaming "Fat assed ATV riders" :D :D
elkgrin.gif
hump.gif
hump.gif

[ 02-22-2004, 18:44: Message edited by: cjcj ]

Ithaka, no I don't have any stats to back that up. I was participating in a hunter education class and was talking to our local game warden. It's word of mouth; and the majority of violations were reguarding fishing limits.

CJ,

I don't think it was illegal aliens that poached the elk. I have not heard of too many illegal aliens that own 4-wheelers.

But, if we can get the motorized access blocked off in those areas, then it is likely the poaching will go down, which is all of our's goal.

I agree with 'Gunner. Don't most illegals drive a '87 Buick or a '99 Eclipse with a rear spoiler, 18" wheels and 2" sidewalls? I don't think they'd have the ground clearance to get to elk country.

I see GUNNER's making ASSumptions about how these elk were killed by whom. Why not admit to the other side of the issue? It's illegal to poach these elk. Did that stop the poaching????

Ten,

You assumed these Elk were poached by hunters. And in fact, you said: "With all this poaching going on, I just can't see how hunting should be legal....... "

Just as we all thought, you don't care about hunting, and are ready to ban hunting.

I see GUNNER's making ASSumptions about how these elk were killed by whom. Why not admit to the other side of the issue? It's illegal to poach these elk. Did that stop the poaching
Just what could be the other side of the issue?? You were the one who found all the articles on Poaching and Motorized access. I would guess the other side of the issue is how few animals are poached in roadless areas. So if that is what you want me to admidt to, I guess I can.

Nice twist, I see you haven't hit the hay free bale yet today. You ASSumed, that because roads are used as landmarks that these cases involved ATV's????? I figured the road reference was a landmark most people could easily use as a reference. You ASSumed, that because a road was refernecedit must have been committed by ATV riders????

I am simply pointing out that, to the non-hunting crowd, all these things are seen as done by hunters. Who else would be killing animals?
Can you say that only ATV riders would be allowed on these roads? Can you show where making poaching illegal has stopped poaching completely? Can you show anything other then your ASSumations?

This is a great thread you started, Ten. You now have pointed out that you are anti-hunting, and you have pointed out that motorized access is a contrbuutor to Poaching.

You might want to let this one die....

And no, I did not assume they were done by ATV riders, but I will assume they were done where they were, by the easy access by motor.

An Iowa man accused of illegally killing trophy-size elk and mule deer in Colorado's backcountry and transporting them across state lines for commercial sale pleaded guilty in September to federal charges, in what authorities are calling one of the biggest poaching investigations in Colorado and Iowa history.
Yep, right off the road. http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/content/website/news/iowapoacher/

Ten,

I don't know what you have against people from Iowa, but I don't really think all Iowans are poachers. And not really sure why you posted that article? I assume it was because it was a fat-assed ATV rider that did the Poaching?

EG,

How in the hell do you make the connection between this disgusting display of poaching and ATV's?

Yeah, ATV's need to be controlled and I'd definitely like to see more areas closed off to them. I've spent hours on the phone and endless emails discussing the needed ATV restrictions with F&G as well as enforcement of the existing laws. If you can't see the point that Ten is trying to make here, you're either blind or just plain stupid, (or maybe you have no life and can't quit trying to pick an argument for lack of anything better to do).

By the way EG, where exactly is your Own Private Idaho?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elitehunter85
Back