Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Elk .... Let's see them!!!

" I put a perfect shot on him with about 10 minutes of shooting light left. I was supposed to get back to work the next day but knew I had to let this bull sit overnight "

I didn't think it was a stupid question.
I don’t think the issue was with the question, but in the manner it was asked. Next time might try “congrats on the bull man, were you able to get all the meat out the next day?” Or something similar to avoid the keyboard jockey bravado.

I didn’t want to risk bumping the bull by not giving him enough time after shooting. They are tough animals and even with a perfect shot with a bow sometimes it takes time. I was all alone and a ways back in so I had to get out to call for help to track and pack. I don’t like leaving animals overnight but sometimes that’s the reality of the situation. We were back in there first thing in the AM before the sun even came up, got the elk, had no spoiled meat, and he tasted great. Sorry for your unfortunate experience.

In Africa there is no hunting at twilight. The PHs pull the plug long before that. My first buffalo was pushing the envelope. We didn't find them until late in the afternoon. The cat and mouse game in thick stuff went on for more than an hour. I began to get a bit concerned. "What if I hit it poorly and we have to run it down in the dark?" I was informed no one goes after buffalo in the dark. "Then it spoils?" Yes. Not much hope of saving a 1700 pound animal even if the temperature did somehow drop to freezing (and in August it sometimes does).

Shortly afterwards it was time to quit, well before sunset. On the way back to the vehicle we happened to catch the herd running across an opening +100 yards away. Glen put up the sticks and they stopped to look at us. "Is it too late?" "Not for you." By then the evening wind was kicking up. "I can't make the shot. I'm moving too much." Glen moved up and braced my right arm. "How about now?" Boom! "You got it! Good shot!" Through the heart and it went less than 20 yards before tipping over. Whew. Later I asked Glen about the range of that shot. "75 meters is normally the max but we knew you could shoot."
2019-08-26 buffalo posed(2).JPG
Note the setting sun.

The only time I have been in the field in Africa at or after sunset is when an animal has been hit and not recovered. That would be the last animal on my last trip. And I can say unequivocally that if we had not recovered it, that kudu would be my last big game animal. He was hit more than an hour before sunset. A day and a half later my PH got him as I was driving a draw with the trackers. I had hit in the offside front shoulder. Long story. Anyway, every PH I have hunted with hangs it up well before sunset. That is the humane thing to do, especially when dealing with clients of questionable experience. There is SO much game available, it really is pointless to risk having client go home with a bad memory (though admittedly most clients could care less about any unnecessary suffering on the animal's part).

Last edited:
In Africa there is no hunting at twilight. The PHs pull the plug long before that. My first buffalo was pushing the envelope. We didn't find them until late in the afternoon. The car and mouse game in thick stuff went on for more than an hour. I began to get a bit concerned. "What if I hit it poorly and we have to run it down in the dark?" I was informed no one goes after buffalo in the dark. "Then it spoils?" Yes. Not much hope of saving a 1700 pound animal even if the temperature did somehow drop to freezing (and in August it sometimes does).

Shortly afterwards it was time to quit, well before sunset. On the way back to the vehicle we happened to catch the herd running across an opening +100 yards away. Glen put up the sticks and they stopped to look at us. "Is it too late?" "Not for you." By then the evening wind was kicking up. "I can't make the shot. I'm moving too much." Glen moved up and braced my right arm. "How about now?" Boom! "You got it! Good shot!" Through the heart and it went less than 20 yards before tipping over. Whew. Later I asked Glen about the range of that shot. "75 meters is normally the max but we knew you could shoot."

The only time I have been in the field in Africa at or after sunset is when an animal has been hit and not recovered. That would be the last animal on my last trip. And I can say unequivocally that if we had not recovered it, that kudu would be my last big game animal. He was hit more than an hour before sunset. A day and a half later my PH got him as I was driving a draw with the trackers. Hit in the offside front shoulder. Long story. Anyway, every PH I have hunted with hangs it up well before sunset. That is the humane thing to do, especially when dealing with clients of questionable experience. There is SO much game available, it really is pointless to risk having client go home with a bad memory (though admittedly most clients could care less about any unnecessary suffering on the animal's part).
To each their own. However this was not guided hunting in Africa so there are different factors to consider. I can name numerous accounts of people who have left elk overnight and recovered the next day with no meat spoil or issues. We can agree to disagree. I always do the best I can to be ethical which is why I don’t chase game at night that could be wounded. Could push them and push them till they are not retrievable. As far as hunting till sunset, there is nothing unethical about that. CPW regulations have shooting light limits and hunting till legal shooting light (30 minutes after sunset) is 100% legal and in my opinion does not pose any ethical dilemma if you can put yourself in a good position to make an ethical shot. If you choose to hang it up well before sunset then good on you.

So this makes you the expert. Gotcha 👍.
The dozen in as many years before that kinda does. Including these two. I moved out of state in 1987. Wait ... actually this happened in 1984 the year I took a teaching job in Idaho. Moved back to Montana in '86. Then briefly to Seattle before coming to Canada in 1989 ... where I shot several moose ... as big or bigger than Montana elk. Bigger bones, thicker skin, and longer hair. Even more likely to spoil overnight, especially early in the season.
1980 bull.JPGelk1c.jpg

In Africa there is no hunting at twilight. The PHs pull the plug long before that. My first buffalo was pushing the envelope. We didn't find them until late in the afternoon. The cat and mouse game in thick stuff went on for more than an hour. I began to get a bit concerned. "What if I hit it poorly and we have to run it down in the dark?" I was informed no one goes after buffalo in the dark. "Then it spoils?" Yes. Not much hope of saving a 1700 pound animal even if the temperature did somehow drop to freezing (and in August it sometimes does).

The only time I have been in the field in Africa at or after sunset is when an animal has been hit and not recovered. That would be the last animal on my last trip. And I can say unequivocally that if we had not recovered it, that kudu would be my last big game animal. He was hit more than an hour before sunset. A day and a half later my PH got him as I was driving a draw with the trackers. I had hit in the offside front shoulder. Long story. Anyway, every PH I have hunted with hangs it up well before sunset. That is the humane thing to do, especially when dealing with clients of questionable experience. There is SO much game available, it really is pointless to risk having client go home with a bad memory (though admittedly most clients could care less about any unnecessary suffering on the animal's part).
Comparing elk hunting to anything in Africa is rather silly.

To each their own. However this was not guided hunting in Africa so there are different factors to consider. I can name numerous accounts of people who have left elk overnight and recovered the next day with no meat spoil or issues. We can agree to disagree. I always do the best I can to be ethical which is why I don’t chase game at night that could be wounded. Could push them and push them till they are not retrievable. As far as hunting till sunset, there is nothing unethical about that. CPW regulations have shooting light limits and hunting till legal shooting light (30 minutes after sunset) is 100% legal and in my opinion does not pose any ethical dilemma if you can put yourself in a good position to make an ethical shot. If you choose to hang it up well before sunset then good on you.
He is also simply wrong about Africa.

I would certainly be reluctant to go after an animal, any animal, after dark alone with a bow. Which is why I wouldn't be shooting at one with a bow at twilight alone. Personally, I consider bow hunting borderline ethical to start with. I have talked to too many butchers and hunters (countless actually) who have encountered broadheads when cutting up meat. I also don't hold with taking 500 yard rifle shots at dusk but it happens all the time. Lots of Youtube videos of "expert" clowns doing that crap. Have I shot at elk at twilight? Yes, once and damn near didn't get him. Have I passed on them at twilight? Yes. And I have also passed early in the morning when visibility wasn't 100% (even though both sexes were legal). I shot one bull moose almost at dark less than 20 yards away (probably closer to a dozen yards) asleep in his bed in +foot of snow. Easy shot in the heart and he didn't run fifteen yards. Even if I'd somehow messed up the shot, conditions were ideal for tracking him down in the dark. There were two other guys in the area to help out if needed. I also knew 180 gr 30-06 at that range would do SIGNIFICANT damage no matter where it hit.

Shooting elk at night, multiple over limits; seems to be a pattern of behaviors

Also hopefully someone gets this thread back on track ASAP
Shooting wounded elk at night is generally accepted to be legal. As long as it can be proven that it was wounded during legal hours. Which might be tricky. But who cares? I only care that some poor critter doesn't have to spend the night in agony because of a bunch of PA hunters' foolishness.

Your constantly taking what I've said out of context also displays a pattern of undesirable behavior: lack of maturity.

The dozen in as many years before that kinda does. Including these two. I moved out of state in 1987. Wait ... actually this happened in 1984 the year I took a teaching job in Idaho. Moved back to Montana in '86. Then briefly to Seattle before coming to Canada in 1989 ... where I shot several moose ... as big or bigger than Montana elk. Bigger bones, thicker skin, and longer hair. Even more likely to spoil overnight, especially early in the season.
View attachment 278932View attachment 278931
Shooting elk at night, multiple over limits; seems to be a pattern of behaviors

Also hopefully someone gets this thread back on track ASAP
I agree. I really didn’t mean for this to derail the thread. Just wanted to share one of my favorite hunting memories that I was proud of is all. Would love to start seeing others instead of this argument continue.

I agree. I really didn’t mean for this to derail the thread. Just wanted to share one of my favorite hunting memories that I was proud of is all. Would love to start seeing others instead of this argument continue.
Congrats on the elk. Don't worry about the derail. It happens fairly often when an arrogant know-it-all puts his .02 in and has to proclaim his greatness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back