ELK=It's About Tip Off Time!

4th quarter time to hunt

Well, it is the fourth quarter and it is time to hunting. To my surprise that weekend the campers and hunters started to roll into the canyon I was in. So saterday there was a lot of pressure on all the easy spots. Elk were getting nervous and headed into the deep cover!
Opening morning found me up way before light and headed to a canyon I had not even scout!:(:( After putting 500 miles on my truck, 100 on the 4 wheeler and around 50 on my legs, I had to go where my gutts told me. Way back away from the roads. It had been so hot from about thursday on that the bugling was tapering off. Plus the presssure from all the people hunting and or scouting!:eek::eek:
I had walk in the dark for about an hour head to a spot I was pretty sure no one had been too. I had covered about 4 miles in when I came to a preety good looking canyon about light! It was to early to see my pins on my bow so I thought it was about time to bulge. I had one fire right back about 300 yards away!:hump: The game was on! after about an hours or so i got within 70 yards of a good 6x6. He had 4 coes and 2 calves with him. I tried to size him up and couldn't bring myself to shoot him. I guessed him to be 320.:confused: About the time I was going to let him walk I did not notice I had called in a cow to about 15 yards and she made there decision to get out of there!! It was fun to see them leave though. she barked for 30 minutes from across the canyon. What a great start to a week hunt.
As I walked farther in pushing a 5 mile mark, I started to remember that I was by myself and shouldn't be pushing my luck. What If I killed one back in there. I really would of had my work cut out. I bugled and to my luck had three sing back. :D:D Man I love that sound. As I worked my wy to the largest sound bull, I came face to face with another 6x6 bull. I had about 5 second to judge and pass! Again 290 to 300.:) With the big bull still screaming about 100 yards away in moved in! We were only about 25 yards apart before I pick his legs up in the thick cover! I got ready for him to try and get my wind. I saw something out of the corner of my eye so I looked over to see what it was and my mind must of played a trick on me. When I looked back where the bulls legs where I could see them moving towards me. I couldn't belive it when a cow stepped out at 10 yards and I was at full draw. I held it for as long is I could and had to let down. The cow just turned and walked away. I looked back and the legs of teh bull hadn't even moved. He was still right there about 25 yards away. I thought if I could move to my right I might have a shot that is herd bull. I was now starting to see bits and peices of his horns and he looked good! I was starting to say 320 plus when all hell broke loose and sh.t was running everywhere. I jumped to my right and cow called and stopped the bull at 30 yards. I had a shot but not great one, so I passed. I do think he was around 320. Up to this point It seened like I couldn't get over that 320 mark!
With elk running everwhere and the bull screaming trying to get his cow back, I just followed the herd. It was now about noon and they were headed to the higher ground. The temp was climbing too! I had found a pond on the map so I went to sit water for the afternoon. Man did that drive me crazy. I sat there all afternoon. I was board to tears. after 5 hours of nothing I heard a bull bulge in the distance.:) Then another, then another. About every 15 minutes 3 different bulls would sound off! I listened to this for a couple most hours thinking they would come to water. I couldn't take it any longer so off I went towards the bulges. I had an hour before dark and 5 mile hike out! I had to make something happen. They were bugling so some that I just walked in on them. one satelite was 6x6 at 300 and a little rag horn 5 point! As I tried to get closer to the herd bull, He got tired of all the bulls around him and as luck would have it he check out with his cows! They all took off running for lower ground.:mad::mad: I do think it was the same bull from the close encounter 5 hours earlier! Day one was over!!! What a day!:)

Attachments

• HPIM2736.jpg
    HPIM2736.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 610
  • HPIM2741.jpg
    HPIM2741.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 647
Closing out the game!

Well it is 4am and I was headed back inot no man's land well before light. When I parked the wheeler I still had my 5 mile hike into my bugling paridise! I cross the first huge canyon and took some time to stop sweeting and clean myself up. I thought today is the day. I was going to get the herd bull!
In the dark I let out my first bugle and to my surprise I had to answer about a half mile off. This was good because I was only about 1.5 miles from the bike. I moved in and the sun was just starting to crack! I called in the bull to about 80 yards in the wide open! (325 bull)! The trouble was he couldn't see me.:p He got nervous and headed out.:mad::mad: Grabbing his cows and head for higher ground. The case was now, for the first mile anyway. They ended up the 5 miles in just like the day before!:confused: There was a lot of bugling going on and It sounded awesome. I picked the deepest biggest bugle and headed for him. I was within 80 yards when I picked up his 8 cows and he was just above them. I heard him make some wild noise and the cows picked up and went right to him. It was like he know I was getting close and he wanted his ladies.:cool: When they ran to him I ran to were they were and acted like a bull that just stole one of his cow's. WOW!! Did he go crazy. He bugled every minute. I just walked away bugling and I made the same cow call. I could hear him tearing up tree's. I looked up and another bull was walking right at me from a different direction! I thought this was it! A good 6x6 with long main beam's. 315 to 320 bull. Needless to say I missed and meat was safe! :eek::eek:
Bummed out and a little tired of walking so far, I needed to hunt a little easier country. I walked out and moved camp!:W:
With a good lunch in me and being able to talk with my wife and kids, they picke me up. I was good to hear them let me to keep at it. to KILL the big one! That afternoon it finially rained cats and dogs for about an hour and then the sun came out. Lots cooler I headed back out to easier, more accessable country. I parked my bike and headed into a long canyon when 9 guy's came walking out. Yes 9! They had 9 of the 50 tags! Needless to say I didn't go in there. I picked up and head ot a spot I had lots of bugles the week before! Letting out a bugle I had three respond to my call. I pick out the biggest deepest bull and headed for him. Ya he was the highest on the mountian. I worked my way to him with the clock runnning down. My body was getting tired, the light was fading. The bull held his ground and I moved in. 30 yards apart and still no bull. was were cuttnig off each others bugles and tearing up tree's. He let out a bugle away from me then tired to get my wind.;) I was ready for him as he stepped out at 12 yards. Seeing 6x6 frame and heavy it was a no brainer! Big bull with all my pins on his chest. Fire in the hole! The Game Was Over!!!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• HPIM2753.jpg
    HPIM2753.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 567
  • HPIM2767.jpg
    HPIM2767.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 586
  • HPIM2759.jpg
    HPIM2759.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 568
  • HPIM2764.jpg
    HPIM2764.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 563
That's a great looking bull. Nice mass. Congrats!

I'm guessing the game wasn't over after the shot, though. ;)

Great looking bull, congrats! Looks like an awesome hunt.

Way to go sir! That is a mighty fine bull and it sounds like you had an awesome hunt.

Congrats.

pack out!!!

Oak, your wright it was not over!! Worked my ass off but well worth it!! :):) I also pulled an arrow out of it's shoulder!! It looked like someone else wanted this bull. Pretty cool. Lots of meat and lots of memories!! Good time for sure!!:hump::D

Attachments

• HPIM2789.jpg
    HPIM2789.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 298
  • HPIM2788.jpg
    HPIM2788.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 297
  • HPIM2778.jpg
    HPIM2778.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 295
  • HPIM2775.jpg
    HPIM2775.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 291
  • HPIM2773.jpg
    HPIM2773.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 302
sad hunt was over!

Well I had to break down camp and head home. :mad::mad: Boy, sure not looking forward to that drive!!:eek::eek:

Attachments

• HPIM2794.jpg
    HPIM2794.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 285
  • HPIM2799.jpg
    HPIM2799.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Great Job!!!!! nothing beter than getting a bull like that in the last quarter

Don't pull a Khunter and leave us hangin' here. I am waiting for the next installment!

Come on now. Guy has to work after an adventure!

Great story and pictures highmountain. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on a great hunt and effort that went into it.

Did I miss it or did you not mention what unit. The tag count makes it sound like 16D, where I hunted last year.

Last edited:
Can you imagine the poor bowhunter who thought he made a good shot?

Seems hard to believe that you found both an arrow AND a knife in that bugger and he was still walking! ;)

K hunter the unit was 17. I wish I had a 16d tag. When I do, I will be calling you!!!

Bwana, that was funny!!! Good whit!!! But yes they are tough........

My back still hurts..

I am already missing the hunt and yes, even the pack out!!!:eek::eek:

Attachments

• 0921000956.jpg
    0921000956.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 0921001023.jpg
    0921001023.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 0921001035.jpg
    0921001035.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 214