Elk Idaho Unit 36b

smorgado

This will be my first year hunting Elk in Idaho. Hunting unit 36b. Anyone have any suggestion on areas with in the unit. Not looking for a trophy ( though that would be nice) just wanna see some country and fill the freezer. also my dad is coming with me he's a lil older so want to find some country not to rough for him as well

I don't know to much about the unit but from what i do know its very big country so get into shape. The white cloud mountains get there name for a reason. Lots of elk to chase if you get of the beat'n path. Good luck.

Thanks guys .. Yea I'm excited to get out there . I'm not worried about me going of the beatn path . Just want a spot for my pops. Looking forward to the chase

Saw some dandy bulls one 4th weekend helping a buddy scout for mtn goats. The bulls were just above treeline. There are some good one's in there, good luck!

Archery or rifle? Not sure squaw creek will be the best place for elk, but I could be wrong. Are you familiar with Idaho? When you talk about something that's "not too rough" for your pops can you define that? Like how many miles do you think he can hike and how much elevation gain? Two miles in 36B can feel like 100 on flat ground...just sayin.

I hunted goats there last year without seeing many elk or elk sign. Spent my time along the peaks between Custer and Cinnabar so not classic elk country, but certainly not fit for a guy who wants to take it easy. I hiked in from the trailheads along Thompson, Ramey, Five Mile, Cinnabar, and Martin Creek. Only saw one elk camp while I was there the last week of archery season if that tells you anything. It was in the Squaw Creek area, but to be fair l didn't spend any time driving around.

For my dad he can hike just not to extreme. I will prob go off on my own a few times . We will be hunting the late season rifle . Spoke with a biologist sqauw creek was one are they said to check out

Archery or rifle? Not sure squaw creek will be the best place for elk, but I could be wrong. Are you familiar with Idaho? When you talk about something that's "not too rough" for your pops can you define that? Like how many miles do you think he can hike and how much elevation gain? Two miles in 36B can feel like 100 on flat ground...just sayin.

We will be hunting late season rifle. My dad can hike just takes it slow. I will be going off on my own a few times . We will be there for two weeks

So is you're dad gonna hike 1,000-1,500' up and down every day? That's Idaho "easy". The bio told you squaw creek because it's got a big ol road going up it. Check out Darling Creek. I may have other spots for ya as well...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back