Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk Hunting in Idaho - newbie

jeffraines

So, its looking like before the year is up I'll have an Idaho hunting license due to hunting spring bear there more than likely. I really want to get out and try chasing elk this year. I would prefer to do it during rifle season. If I'm lucky enough to get an opportunity on one, as long as its legal I would be tickled.

Before I start pulling harvest reports, anyone have any advice on units? Not looking for specific areas, just information/suggestions/things you have observed. I keep seeing that SE Idaho is crowded, but a lot of people are successful down there.

If you are already going to have a license then you really should apply for a controlled hunt in May. I'm guessing you're a nonresident and if that's the case it might make sense to pick up the OTC tag you want now to avoid possibility of it selling out or hitting a cap. If you draw the controlled hunt you can exchange the OTC for the draw.

If you are already going to have a license then you really should apply for a controlled hunt in May. I'm guessing you're a nonresident and if that's the case it might make sense to pick up the OTC tag you want now to avoid possibility of it selling out or hitting a cap. If you draw the controlled hunt you can exchange the OTC for the draw.

x2
Matt

They are spot on with the controlled hunt... Idaho is a true lottery so no bonus or preference points, you might as well you have as good of a chance as anyone. You spend enough time with the harvest stats, the decent units start jumping out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back