Elk hunt near Salmon ID

I was awarded a non resident antlerless elk tag in a small section of unit 28 on the west side of the city of Salmon Idaho. Looking at some maps, I've noticed a lot of OHV trails. I looked for any rules on off road vehicles in that area and there are none that I can find. I will be on foot during this hunt in early October. My question to anyone that knows that area is- Do you know of any places there that are high use OHV? Just looking for places to avoid if possible.

Welcome to the forums! You should assume if there is a trail there is activity.

I hunted that unit last year, unit 28-1, most of the elk are up high. There are not a lot of roads and the OHV is not too busy, except on weekends. It can be a tough hunt, the terrain is steep and rugged and not a lot of elk. Good area for spot and stalk, we saw elk most of the days, just getting to them was difficult. Good luck

I figured as much. I'm worried these OHV trails will be like the ones by me. They are used as often as possible with dirt bikes, quads, and dune buggies and the deer and elk are not to be found until weather restricts the fun... Thanks.

I hunted that unit last year, unit 28-1, most of the elk are up high. There are not a lot of roads and the OHV is not too busy, except on weekends. It can be a tough hunt, the terrain is steep and rugged and not a lot of elk. Good area for spot and stalk, we saw elk most of the days, just getting to them was difficult. Good luck

Good deal. I'll get in there just before deer season opens, so I'm hoping for at least less pressure. I'll give her hell.... Thanks....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back