Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk did not tip over.

IME, most people view a behind the shoulder shot as behind the green line, and about halfway up. This will get you liver, but is not a great shot. A little too low, and you’re in the gut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to keep shooting an elk until it is on the ground, then approach being prepared to shoot it again. You can’t eat any tenderloins that get away…
I agree 100%. Here in NV I get a cow elk tag about every 3-4 years so I don't stop shooting until it's on the ground, because they are delicious. ;)
Of the 10-12 elk I've witnessed being shot, both cows and bulls not a single one has "dropped" with the first shot.

My elk sample size is very small, but I didn’t start getting deer to drop quickly with a double lung hit until I switched to a bullet that expanded/fragmented more readily.

My elk sample size is very small, but I didn’t start getting deer to drop quickly with a double lung hit until I switched to a bullet that expanded/fragmented more readily.
Ummmmm... Ballistic Tips? mtmuley

Mine seem to always drop, but I’ve seen them run on tv and heard people talk about it.

I tend to keep shooting an elk until it is on the ground, then approach being prepared to shoot it again. You can’t eat any tenderloins that get away…
I've yet to hunt elk; only Southeastern whitetail. How difficult are follow-up shots typically? I'm assuming most elk are running if they hear the gunshot?

I've yet to hunt elk; only Southeastern whitetail. How difficult are follow-up shots typically? I'm assuming most elk are running if they hear the gunshot?
IME elk only take off like deer about 1/2 the time. Sometimes they’ll just stand there and take shot after shot until they go down. That said the last 2 I’ve shot have ran for a little ways then stopped to look. 1 with a rifle I already had 2 shots in his heart and he died when he stopped and the other with a bow ran 100 yards then stopped. He died shortly after but with a rifle I could’ve gotten another one in him.

Only elk I dropped was with a .50 cal MZ because I hit the spine. Quickly reloaded as she was trying to get up and put another on her just behind the shoulder. She tried to get up yet again and nd I walked up and put one right behind her ear. I put one picture perfectly dead center through the heart on my last bull and he took off running, didn't see him flintch, didn't hear the bullet smack. Thankfully my wife saw him stumble when the bullet impacted and heard rhe the smack of the bullet or I would have thought I missed because I found 0 blood or any evidence of a hit. He ran 100 yds and piled up. Just not elk, I have killed deer and antelope that had the heart destroyed that either ran or stood there like nothing touched them. Animals are tough! How many people can get a leg blown off and 3 days later be chasing some gal around like nothing is wrong?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back