Elk did not tip over.

williaada

A couple of years ago I shot a cow elk right behind the front shoulder broadside. The cow did not act like it was hit, and I could not tell what cow I had shot at 9 cows one bull. Eventually the elk moved 200yards going north. One cow elk just laid down like it was going to bed and then dropped her head to the ground. At this point I was certain this was the cow I first shot. The remaining herd moved further to the north into the brush. The herd bull came back twice to urge the down cow on (the down cow did not move, I was watching her through my scope). As the bull was going into the brush the cow that was laying down got up, and started to try and catch up with the herd. I put one more round right though the shoulder, and cow dropped right there and never moved.

As I get ready for my next hunt, is it common for the elk to lay down instead of tip over or stumble down?

Last edited:
Could not tell due to the second shot. Did recover the bullet in the off shoulder. A better question when looking at an elk where on a broadside shot do you aim for to avoid another liver, physical characteristics.

My uncle shot a caribou , and we watched it walk with the herd about 2 miles, then lay down, it was dead when we walked up , but the shot
took out 1 lung & exit near the liver. We had a whitetail buck arrowed
one lung in to the paunch, running around 2 weeks chasing does, till shot with a rifle, IMO both lungs or broken shoulder = dead found

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I shot a cow elk right behind the front shoulder broadside. The cow did not act like it was hit, and I could not tell what cow I had shot at 9 cows one bull. Eventually the elk moved 200yards going north. One cow elk just laid down like it was going to bed and then dropped her head to the ground. At this point I was certain this was the cow I first shot. The remaining herd moved further to the north into the brush. The herd bull came back twice to urge the down cow on (the down cow did not move, I was watching her through my scope). As the bull was going into the brush the cow that was laying down got up, and started to try and catch up with the herd. I put one more round right though the shoulder, and cow dropped right there and never moved.

As I get ready for my next hunt, is it common for the elk to lay down instead of tip over or stumble down?
I've shot several through the lungs and they just stood there like nothing happened, elk are tough. Most then walked or ran a bit, but they did all keel over, just took a bit. The only ones that dropped in their tracks were neck, spine, or high shoulder hits. Heart shots did not result in "tipping over" either.

What bullet?

I've shot a few with the 280ai, right in the crease, not through the shoulders and non dropped at the hit. With that, all went less than 40yds before tipping over.

Bullet used on all: 160gr Nosler Accubond at a tad over 2,900fps from 25yds to 285yds.
150gr Barnes TTSX running 2875fpd

Could not tell due to the second shot. Did recover the bullet in the off shoulder. A better question when looking at an elk where on a broadside shot do you aim for to avoid another liver, physical characteristics.
IF you indeed hit liver, you're too far back. Like someone else just said, tight behind the shoulder.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back