Elk decoys?

LukeDuke

I've been adding some gear this offseason, and since I'm new to the elk hunting game, I was curious how effective elk decoys are during archery season? I have had some decent success with antelope decoys, but wasn't sure about elk? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Laelkhunter

Never used them myself, but the concept seems like a good one. When archery hunting, when you are calling a bull in with a cow call, he is looking for a cow, and if he sees a decoy his attention would be on the decoy. If you can place it strategically, and away from you, his approaching the decoy might offer a broadside shot. If he is following cows, the cows seeing the decoy might reassure them of safety seeing another "cow" in the area.
I personally WOULD NOT use a decoy on public land during rifle season.

PatrickK

I carried a Heads Up Decoy last archery season here in Montana. I never was able to utilize it on a bull that was coming in. I was able to use it to provide a little "cover" for myself when I got busted. It was enough to keep the elk calm long enough for me to get behind something substantial.

I shoot a longbow and I hold the decoy in my bow hand. I can shoot while holding it - something I couldn't do with the other decoys.

Patrick

F

fwagner

I have used Montana decoys elk hunting for several years. They take up a lot of space in your pack but they don't weigh very much at all, very light. I have had good experience with them. The only draw back it they can be a pain to carry around and they are difficult to put up in a hurry.

LukeDuke

Thanks guys....I appreciate the advice. I will be hunting public land in MT(assuming I draw), so I will look into these options.