Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk Decoys worth the hassle of them?

windymtnman

I'm thinking about buying an Elk Decoy. Aside from the $100 to $110 purchase price, are they worth the hassle of carrying around and having to set up over and over again when hunting? I suppose if you've set one up, and had success due to having it, a person's sold on them and writes a good review in the customer feedback reviews on Cabela's etc.. However I wonder if there's also a bunch of folks that have used them and never had a bit of luck with them?

The other question that perhaps readers may have some input on, is the brand & style of them. I like the looks of the Fred Eichler decoy with the Cow Elk facing forward, It's about $10 more than the Montana Decoys that are often in a butt end pose. Anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm looking for a recommendation.

Besides hunting, I like to go out this time of year and photograph the Elk around our place. They aren't Winter stressed like some in deep snow, so it's not like them trotting off is hurting their survival abilities. It would be fun to use a Decoy, and see what I can get away with setting it out and using it for photos.

I have one tha I've carried for the past 3 years. I usually never bother with it because I'm by myself. Hard to carry and set up while carrying a bow. I think it would work better if you had a caller and a shooter. The few times I've set it up the elk seem to not pay much attention

When I was learning to hunt elk, I was told that the best decoy is to moon the elk. Two white cheeks look like a cow's rear end, you just have to get buckled back up in a hurry. I'm not 100% sure my leg wasn't being pulled so has anyone heard of or tried this?

When I was learning to hunt elk, I was told that the best decoy is to moon the elk. Two white cheeks look like a cow's rear end, you just have to get buckled back up in a hurry. I'm not 100% sure my leg wasn't being pulled so has anyone heard of or tried this?
Works for snipe hunting too. mtmuley

I guess if I plan to follow your suggestion, and MOON the Elk, I'll have to pack a mirror as well, to see what's going on "behind" me!
Let me know when you get your own TV hunting show. I'd like to pop a bowl of corn and tune in! Ha!

Windy...I think like anything, it may or may not work depending on the situation. I've had success using them and I've failed just the same. I use a MT Decoy. I don't carry the leg stakes around. I simply tied a piece of string on the top and hang it off of a branch for quick set up / take down. Plus it sheds some oz as well.

Another trick in the bag.

COFFEE THROUGH THE NOSE.....................
DAM
funny stuff.
crying
thanks for the laugh...donnt do this during archery boy, get an arrow in the arsh.
I am going to try and have my son approve this myth and get this going in elk camp. Just turned 11, ought to be a great pic this fall!

This was my first year with one it seemed to help close the gap on the elk but never help attract them. My uncle had an archery tag here in Nevada. I would hold in out in front of us and walk towards the elk. The manufacture suggest not using in during gun seasons which I agree with. I'm kinda a fan but not sure that it's worth it if your hunting solo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back