Caribou Gear

Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

Didn’t draw in Arizona, the switchback xt and 125 Magnus’s can collect dust another year…

Knight MK-85 with .54 cal 580 gr Parker Hydra-cons,(If bore size is mandated…. ie-Colorado)If not probably the .50 cal MK-85 with the sabot and the 300 gr Pittman bullet.
Or the .338 win mag with 225 gr Partitions.
If it’s cow tag(applied for one in Wyoming and may apply for a late one in Colorado) the .280 REM with 140 E-tips or the .300 Weatherby with 180 partitions or TTSX’s might get the call.

I probably won’t draw shit and I’ll be stomping around with #7 1/2s in the 28 gauge hoping for a Hun or a @#)(# and then fat January doves in the North Carolina sunflower patch.

Didn’t draw in Arizona, the switchback xt and 125 Magnus’s can collect dust another year…

Knight MK-85 with .54 cal 580 gr Parker Hydra-cons,(If bore size is mandated…. ie-Colorado)If not probably the .50 cal MK-85 with the sabot and the 300 gr Pittman bullet.
Or the .338 win mag with 225 gr Partitions.
If it’s cow tag(applied for one in Wyoming and may apply for a late one in Colorado) the .280 REM with 140 E-tips or the .300 Weatherby with 180 partitions or TTSX’s might get the call.

I probably won’t draw shit and I’ll be stomping around with #7 1/2s in the 28 gauge hoping for a Hun or a @#)(# and then fat January doves in the North Carolina sunflower patch.
Haha… I used a nick name for a pheasant and the Moms for liberty censored me!

Mine is the same as last year: If I get off my rear and fixed my .338-06 stock, I’d use that with the 210gr TTSX. If not, I’ll fall back to my .30-06 again. 150gr E-Tips worked this past year, but I’m probably switching to 168gr TTSX this year.

I'm not sure what bullet but it will be coming out of a .300wm. Somebody spend my money. Factory ammo.
Save yourself some money. If the rifle will shoot Winchester 180 gr Powerpoints, they kill elk just fine… several for me from 100 yards to 437 yards.

425 grain arrow with a 100 grain broadhead. If I don't get it done during archery season, I'll return with the 338 WM shooting 230 gr eldx bullets.

Years ago, when I was a lot younger, though a magnum was the answer to any question like this. But something I finally came to realize was I don't like recoil. Learned to shoot the magnums alright but did not enjoy getting belted by them. Some years back I did go elk hunting again and took my 6.5x06 loaded with 140gr interlock's. One elk, one shot and one dead elk. Shot was about 200yds and bullet hit the chest head on between the legs. Tried it a couple more times with behind the leg shots and couple more dead elk! Something I learned from that is that how you use what you have is more important than what you use. Get within 30 yds of an elk and hit it just under the ear with a 22 mag and it will fall down! Different bullet's don't make up for not using the bullet you have for the bullet it is. I think the smallest I'd use though is the 6.5 cartridge with a 140gr bullet. It will limit your choice of shot's very little! But if all I had was my 22 mag and I needed the meat, I would use it in a heart beat. A bullet placed properly kills very well. A shot not properly placed wounds! Big problem I think with hunter's, a lot of them anyway, is they seem to think a certain cartridge can overcome they're own lack of ability!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back