Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk Calendar

Rzrbck918

I have been reading through the forum for the past week and have rewatched tons of episodes and listed to multiple hours of podcasts. Over and over I’ve read/heard about the five periods in an elk calendar. Do those periods vary widely based on latitude or is the leak rut the same in all states?

Peak rut will be about the same in all states as far as I know. The cows have to have calves on the ground by late spring/early summer so they can be healthy enough to make it through the next winter.

Randy and Corey actually discussed the timing of the rut, as it relates to photo-period, in the most recent Elk Talk podcast, titled "Choosing Campsites". I think it's around 1:16 or so.

Cold mornings can sometimes cause an increase in activity.
this I disagree with. When it’s time to rut, they rut. I had numerous occasions when it’s been hot in the morning and In the 90 in the afternoon and have chased them all day nonstop. The more time you spend in the field betters your odds of catching days where they are fired up like that

Like was said above about photo period, the cows start going into heat based on the amount of light that enters their pupils. This is right around the fall equinox when they day is as long as the night. Many people think that it is based on weather and stuff like that but it simply isn't true. It might seem like they aren't rutting when it is hot or more activity when it is cold but these are just observed opinions. If it's hot or a full moon they may just be rutting in the middle of the night. One herd may have already been rutting in the night while another herd a few ridges over might rut in the middle of the day. The times of day the rut activity occurs is what varies wildly, not the dates. They have to get pregnant in this time period because they have to have their calves in late may early June.

Back