Elk broadheads?

Fullquiver

My rig shoots a 350 grain arrow at 305fps. So around 72-73ft-lbs of energy.. So what kind of broadheads would you recommend for a setup like this. I usually shoot fixed blade Rocket Ultimate steel broadheads I have a boatload I bought for dirt cheap years ago.. I have had great luck with them on whitetails.. I have also shot several different expandables like Rage hypodermics, Grim Reapers and Schwackers. I keep going back to the Rocket heads as they fly great and just plain work..

I just don't have any experience with Elk and was wondering which direction I should go?

If you have something that works, then don't break it. A sharp broad head through the lungs or heart will kill an elk, just like it does a deer or antelope.I might get some more weight in the front with that light of an arrow. I'm a big fan of heavy FOC. Maybe an insert or a heavier head. MY opinion is to stay away from expandables for elk. I shoot Rage 3 blades at turkeys and they get destroyed. I can't imagine what those thin blades will do against a rib cage or scapula. Like I said, that is MY opinion.

Their are so many good heads on the market and so many opinions on them also . Most important is where you put it in an animal if you take out their lungs both of em they dont go far
that being said I like a fixed blade on a heavier arrow myself I never got into the mechanicals but many guys love them
Their is a video I saw that has a bow in a vice and shoots a 100 grain up to a 300 grain head and I was very surprised at the lack of drop in arrow placement at 35 yrds so I dont worry to much about how fast my arrow goes more so of how hard it punches

I shot a couple whitetails with Rage and really was not impressed with their penetration or durability. That was a number of years ago, so the design could be a little sturdier these days; never tried the Hypodermic.

BHs are a weird subject in which you'll get tons of conflicting opinions and testimonials. I can tell you that I used to be a big fan of Spitfires, until I shot an elk with one. Those are possibly the best deer-sized game BH out there, but although I recovered the elk, penetration was not great. Tekken II's I tried at one point - 2 elk and an antelope later and I was set... but they quit making them and I just can't bring myself to shoot the T3's, they are nothing like the T2 design. I read the Rocket Steelheads were the best-penetrating mechs on the market. A couple years ago I shot a bull in the shoulder, the arrow penetrated about 4" and I lost the bull. Never doing that again.

I shot the standard 4-blade Muzzys years ago and thought they flew okay, but I do recall them sailing right through the chest of a couple deer without slowing down and leaving terrific blood trails, so I'm now back to the smallish 4-blade, fixed design. Muzzys sort of drove me crazy with the necessity to hypertune for them, so last year I settled on Slick Trick Viper Tricks. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to send one at an elk yet, but I do like the way they fly. I'm old now, a little more of a gun hunter than I used to be, so spending hours upon hours farting with sensitive archery gear isn't really my thing these days. I like simple, use a Whisker Biscuit, a Black Gold 4-pin sight, I Fletch my own arrows with a little offset and with a modest spin those Vipers fly great.

So what's the best elk BH? Who knows. The only thing I'm really convinced of at this point is: fixed blade that flies true with your set up. There are so many different designs out there with all manner of snazzy packaging and marketing ploys and TV hunters getting paid to plug for them. The more I hunt the more I believe that simple is good. And there is a reason that Muzzys and Slicks have been around as long as they have.

What's a rig?

haha jk

I agree with the above, if it isn't broke don't fix it. I get my bow prepped for elk knowing it'll kill everything else I chose to hunt with it. Oh and fixed broadheads all day every day #slicktricks

Side question.. If when hunting elk would you rather have a 350gr arrow at 305 fps or a 430gr arrow traveling at 275?

Side question.. If when hunting elk would you rather have a 350gr arrow at 305 fps or a 430gr arrow traveling at 275?
I dont think their would be much if any difference in shooting those 2 arrows maybe 1 inch drop maybe, and the heavier arrow will have a bit more punch
I used to shoot about 370 yrs ago wanting more speed now im closer to 475 480 I like the more weight

I shot 410?.. typically i want to be atleast 400 for elk but placement is whats important and as stated a solid fixed blade works best. I use montecs and run one thru a elk every year with good results.

Check out Wray Ranch fairy on youtube or the Ashby foundation and that will give you a lot of ideas on what you should consider for arrow weight and broadheads.

I also prefer a 400+ weight arrow with a fixed blade. I use Easton axis with a slick trick broadhead and get great results. If you ever have the unfortunate experience of hitting an elk in the shoulder blade though you will find yourself relentlessly researching arrow weights, FOC, broadheads and everything under the sun for most likely no reason. Nothing is better than a well placed arrow regardless of what’s on the end of it.

I also prefer a 400+ weight arrow with a fixed blade. I use Easton axis with a slick trick broadhead and get great results. If you ever have the unfortunate experience of hitting an elk in the shoulder blade though you will find yourself relentlessly researching arrow weights, FOC, broadheads and everything under the sun for most likely no reason. Nothing is better than a well placed arrow regardless of what’s on the end of it.

I just ordered up new for me 5mm Axis shafts as I was running low at the end of last season with my typical. Whitetail setup.

These seem to be a good compromise on increasing gpi to get total arrow weight up.

Also grabbed some slick trick viper tricks as I had been using Spitfires on white tails. Just wanted something more stout.

I just ordered up new for me 5mm Axis shafts as I was running low at the end of last season with my typical. Whitetail setup.

These seem to be a good compromise on increasing gpi to get total arrow weight up.

Also grabbed some slick trick viper tricks as I had been using Spitfires on white tails. Just wanted something more stout.
This is the combo I settled on Axis 5mm / Viper Trickes) when I travelled to US for my hunt last year - worked for me. I tested the combo on a few small hogs (40lb) here in OZ before the trip and penetration was excellent.

I agree with Trail, I would look at Solid, Kudu, IW, Magnus or similar heads, cut on contact small cutting diameter. I wouldn't personally go with a 125gr head unless you stick with Iron Will where the cutting diameter stays small, most heads get bigger as weight goes up and that means more surface area which isn't a good thing at 300fps+. If your shooting a 300 spine arrow you could probably get away with weight up front like heavier inserts or to get in a decent weight range but with an arrow that light I doubt you are. A 350gr arrow will kill elk with a good sharp head but it's definitely on the low end of the spectrum as far as penetration goes, I have my 13yr old son shooting a 40lb bow with a 450gr arrow and it has almost identical momentum as your arrow does. He's going to elk hunt with that arrow with an Iron Will S100 head.

Add me to the 400gr. + Fan club. I think 420 is the sweet spot between speed and weight. at 275 ft/sec you have an 8 inch POI range between 34 and 39 yds. (+/- 4 inches) which means you can be off by 5 yards in your range estimation and still be in the Kill zone on an elk at a reasonable distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back