Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

elk broadhead

Wapiti Warrior

I know this has been debated over and over, but I am thinking about getting the G5 Striker and wondered what the experience has been on elk? I use to shoot the 5 blade razorback and loved them.

thanks,
John

Not my personal choice, but lots of elk have fallen to one. Do your part and you shouldn't have any problems.

I agree with the above post. It is a good broadhead. The blades are as Sharp as any broadhead I have tried. I did however break a blade in a Target once. I am currently using slick trick magnums right now and love them. But a broad head that is really got me thinking about switching is the new Shuttle T Black Ops. They are sharper than the original have super thick blades, are ramble near indestructible and fly great. In a huge broadhead test on archery talk they also out penetrated every fixed blade head they used. Very impressive.

Some day one of my slick trick is going to ventilate an elk then I can say how good they are but until then all I can say is boy they sure fly good lol

I shoot Shuttle Ts and the fly great and as close to field points as any fixed I have ever shot. I think the Sharpness deal with them is over stated.

There are hundreds of heads that will work fine and a few that wont. Make sure the state you plan on hunting allows the broadhead you choose. Strong arguments for mechancials vs fixed as well as cut on contact vs chisel. The thing that everyone agrees on is that they have to be legal, sharp and placed in the right spot. There are hundred of heads capable of achieving the desired results when placed in the right spot. None that can consistently get the desired results when placed in the wrong spot. I like the VPA's as they are strong as can be, I can sharpen them razor sharp, and have a low cost as I can use the same heads over and over again. I practice with them all summer long and re-sharpen them and put them in the quiver. I have a lot of confidence in them as I have shot the exact head over and over and have control over how sharp they are.

StrutNut,

how do they fly? I am leaning toward them or the G5 Montec (same design). The problem with the VPA is I can't find them here in Billings, MT.

thanks,
John

I hear how do they fly a lot and well, the answer is, out of a well tuned bow they fly great. I have compared them to Razortricks, Muzzy's. Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts, and Grim Repears and had the tightest groups with VPA, then Reapers and Razortricks followed by Muzzys then Stingers. All 100 gr heads with a 429 total weight arrow. I bought mine online. I am going to buy another pack as it is also the head my 11 yr old son shoots best out of his Bowtech Soldier. There are many great heads out there. This is one to be considered.

StrutNut,

how do they fly? I am leaning toward them or the G5 Montec (same design). The problem with the VPA is I can't find them here in Billings, MT.

thanks,
John

I too shoot VPA's and consider them the best in the 3 blade one-piece class. The difference between them and a Montec is the Montec is poured pot metal, cast into a form. The VPA is fully machined from a solid block of steel. You can make up your own mind as to which is superior.

VPA's are quite easy to get very sharp, and as stated, economical in the long run as they are so reusable. If your bow is tuned, and your form OK, the VPA will fly just fine, certainly at least as good as a Montec. Like any other quality head that spins true, if you have problems with flight, the problem is likely not the broadhead.

Buy from www.rayzor-vpa.com. They have a staisfaction guarantee and if you don't like them for any reason at all, they will refund your money.

I used to use the Striker, but switched to the Montec a few years back due to increased tuning & accuracy.

Having said that, you need to test them out yourself on your rig, to ensure the same broadheads group well together. Then you can adjust your gear accordingly, which in turn increases your confidence levels!

I've been shooting Shuttle-T's since 2006 and have had great luck with them. They fly great, but with every set up, still require proper tuning to ensure accurate results. I've had them blow through every antelope I've shot and most of my deer and about half of my elk. I have not used the Black Ops yet, really don't see a reason to because if it's not broken, I don't fix it.

I shot the elk in the pic below at 24 yards. The 100gr Shuttle-T blew through both shoulders and the arrow broke as he took off, leaving the fletching end in his cavity and I was lucky enough to find the front end. He went less then 50 yards and tipped over.

Good luck in your choice as I think there are probably a lot of good broadheads out there leaving it up to personal preference and proper practice and tuning...just like bows.

Attachments

• DSCN0231.jpg
    DSCN0231.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 9,610
  • DSCN0244.jpg
    DSCN0244.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 3,766
I shoot both g5 Montecs and the NAP Hellrazor. Both fly great but I prefer the Hellrazor to Montecs because they are much easier to resharpen. The steel on the Montecs is soft and is difficult to get a shaving sharp edge. The Hellrazors are much easier to get a shaving sharp edge. That said, I would also shoot any of the VPA broad heads and any of the Trophy Taker line.

There are many good broadheads on the market today. I've not used the ATOM broadhead so I don't have first hand experience, but I don't think a head constructed out of glorified wire is going to consistently give you the performance that Thwak1 posted in his above pictures.

Warning: This is going to sound like a commercial, but it's just my experience with VPA's.

I've shot both the vented and non vented 125's. I've killed multiple deer, a large bull elk, and several hogs with the un vented. Then I have shot 2 deer with the vented heads. Never not had a pass through. I even shot the bull elk quartering to (gasp!) with complete confidence. On three different deer, and one big gnarly boar, I have shot clear through the shoulder bones. I'm not talking about the scapula either. I'm talking about the big bone. On one deer, it broke BOTH shoulders and still passed through. The deer did an immediate face plant, then pushed itself on its back legs like a wheel barrow for 20 yards before flopping over. I actually don't think I have had an animal make it more than 50-60 yards (except for one gut shot, my fault). I attribute that to the confidence of being able to shoot in tight to the shoulder.

It's the only truly solid head out there that I am aware of. No weld lines and not cast, fully machined. The strength is unmatched. Especially with the unvented heads. The measuremets on the vented versus unvented are the same, 1 1/8 cutting diameter. It just comes down to personal preference.

The difference the way I see it is that the vented heads may be a bit more forgiving of a rough release, form inaccuracies, or a cross wind. The unvented heads will be quieter in flight, penetrate more, and slightly stronger. Take your pick. In my set up, I can shoot both interchangeably. My suggestion would be to try both and see what shoots the best for you. If they shoot the same, go with the unvented. It the vented shoot better, use them. They are still stronger than most, and plenty strong "enough."

Last edited:
I'm another fan of VPA broadheads. They have not failed me yet. A buddy of mine on here HighMountain used to shoot Montecs but he noticed when it got really cold (our late archery hunt) the blades would break.

I currently use Slick Trick Magnums. And its a great head. The trocar bone busting tip is made of steel. The blades are made of Mercedes knife grade steel and are as Sharp as anything I have felt. There are pictures and videos of guys shooting them into cinder blocks, digging the broadhead out and none of the blades are broken and the tip isn't bent or anything. That's about as tough as it gets.

My last elk was 20yds quartering away. The broadhead entered, busted through a rib, quartered up through both lungs, busted through the shouldr blade and stuck in the hide. 40uds later following a blood soaked path lay my bull. Oh and I used that same head to kill two more deer. Just replaced the blades.

My next choice would be the new Trophy Taker Shuttle T Black Ops. EVERY SINGLE TEST that I have seen the Shuttle T in this is the head that out penetrates them all. They also create huge wound channels.

As others have mentioned the VPA is the best single piece head out there. Very tough and very sharp. I just suck really bad at sharpening so I cant use this head.

iw87ma.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back