Elk being Quiet?

sreekers

I didn't hear a single bugle all weekend. I don't know what happened, I was in a good area, up high as well and there was plenty of sign. Anybody got any reasons they would completely shut down, other than the rut being over?

Elk

to many people have blown or called to them!!!they learn to be quiet or be killed! IT'S A LOT TOUGHER CALLING IN ELK NOW AS COMPARED TO 10 YRS.AGO,IMO.

There wasn't a thing, I didn't call much at all either. I usually wait til I hear them before I start calling.

I've had this happen a number of times...

The first couple weeks of bow season their quiet as can be

Then the next couple they scream their heads off

Then they just clam up...

Some times I've heard bulls letting every one know their still alive into the end of October but those bulls haven't been pressured as bigbull94 stated...

But then again, every where is a little different :)

There are many reasons why you didn't hear anything. The elk could be in a diffrent drainage, the full moon, high pressure, etc. IMO the last thing on my 'list' would be calling pressure.

I've had weeks when I had them going nuts for a day or two and then I didn't hear a single peep for 2-3 days.

IMO elk havn't got any smarter.

We heard all kinds of Bugleing in Wyoming. Alot more mid Sept but even Oct 1st when I killed my bull we found them cuz they were Screamin'. We did call in Dozens of bulls that came in quiet though. Sometimes they come in without a sound.... Play the wind and watch the shadows :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back