Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk & Bear.. Let's See Them for Colorado GMU 54 "ONLY"

Good morning, Day or Night to ALL,

We are going to GMU 54 Colorado, 2nd Rifle Season with Elk and Bear Tags. We have taken a few scouting trips to the area but honestly I have not seen much animals at side from what another hunter showed me via his trail cameras. If you have hunted GMU 54 and managed to find an animal, please share those pics so at least we know that someone else killed something within this GMU. Thank you so much for the information and help in advance.

GMU54_Bear.jpg

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Last edited:
I hunted that unit last year 2nd season . Only elk I seen was on private land. If I was going back there this year I would hunt it differently. We also had a buck tag and connected on a nice 4x4

Jasher,

Thanks for the info. If you are able, what part of GMU 54 you hunted and also based on last years, what would you do differently this year? You can PM me if that works best for you. Thank you.

-ColoradoHunter719

I've never had a tag there, but I've been along with friends. Didn't take anything last year but saw about a dozen elk and one was a nice 5x5 first rifle. The previous year my friend killed a cow in that unit.

I hunted there 2 years ago for first rifle. I saw a beautiful, chocolate bear opening morning, about 500 yards away. I shot a cow elk that evening. Didn't see anything but a few mule deer does after that (I kept hiking around with my friend who had a tag). There are a lot of elk in that unit, but there's a lot of pressure too. I recommend getting there early and doing some scouting so that you have the best chance to connect on the first day, before they hunker down. After that, they're still there, but you may walk a lot more and have to walk into some seriously gnarly terrain. Have fun. The unit could hardly be any more beautiful!

Good Morning to All,

Thanks for all the information. At least we know that someone has killed something there. We had a few areas picked based on our E-Scouting but after taking a trip down there, most likely we will be staying on the west side of the unit along County Road 721. There are a few nice looking areas and some burns between 9,000 to 11,000 feet. Not an easy hike to the burns (3-5 miles) for sure but hopefully we will be able to find a cow or a nice bull since I have both tags. Have a great day.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719
Colorado_GMU54_West_Side.jpg

Hello,

I hope that some of you have had success in this unit since the last comments!

It looks like I am a few years late to this thread, but I am looking for some help in a similar situation. My buddy and I have never hunted CO and we have bear rifle and muzzleloader tags for September 2021 and we want to focus on unit 54. We will have a little time to do some boots on the ground scouting over the next few months, but largely we will have to rely on e-scouting. Can anyone offer some advise on getting on bears in this area?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back