PEAX Equipment

Elk around Kalispell

What is RMEF doing or been doing in R1?

Or another question is what is the Flathead Sportsmen group doing? I believe they are also an affiliate of the MWF.

Last edited:
For the size of the org they are ineffective.
I encourage you to review the successes of RMEF, as well as past and present programs. You may want to walk-back that statement, which I consider offensively absurd.

You pointed out RMEF support for shoulder seasons, which was a misstep IMO, contrary to their consistent stance of staying away from contentious issues, somewhat political in nature.

Sorry you seem so bitter with regards to RMEF. Remarks do seem to ignore over thirty years of significant successes in supporting elk and other wildlife.

RMEF:
Public Land Access and fully supports / endorses and organizes the purchase of lands for public access. RMEF is directly involved in the purchase of lands for the conservation/restoration of elk herds.

About the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation:
Founded over 30 years ago, fueled by hunters and a membership of nearly 235,000 strong, RMEF has conserved more than 7.4 million acres for elk and other wildlife. RMEF also works to open and improve public access, fund and advocate for science-based resource management, and ensure the future of America’s hunting heritage. Discover why “Hunting Is Conservation™” at www.rmef.org, www.elknetwork.com or 800-CALL ELK.
Take action: join and/or donate.

Randy Newberg, OnX Hunt, RMEF celebrate public lands
http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/NewsReleases/WinaElkHuntwithRandyNewberg.aspx

Specific to NW Montana, as one of our recent examples:
Montana Elk Habitat Conserved, Opened to Public Access

MISSOULA, Mont.—A key wildlife landscape previously threatened by subdivision in northwest Montana is now permanently protected and in the public’s hands thanks to a collaborative effort between the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, a conservation-minded family and the U.S. Forest Service (USFS).

“This property lies within the popular Holland Lake recreational area of the scenic Swan Valley and there was some pressure to develop it,” said Blake Henning, RMEF chief conservation officer. “We appreciate the landowners for recognizing the wildlife values of the land and reaching out to us to help conserve it.”

The 640-acre parcel offers important summer and winter habitat for elk and whitetail deer. It also provides key habitat for grizzly bears, Canada lynx and a vast array of other wildlife. Additionally, it contains riparian habitat via springs and a chain of wetland ponds that feed a tributary of Holland Creek.
http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/NewsReleases/MTElkHabitatConserved.aspx

Better yet, here is a general overview.

RMEF Initiatives
[video=youtube_share;2tN585pLhkY]https://youtu.be/2tN585pLhkY[/video]

About as good as it gets for supporting elk. Examples are endless.

Recent focus to assist...
RMEF Funding Assists Montana Brucellosis Surveillance ProjectIn General by RMEF/6th February 2019/Leave a Comment/

As part of its multi-year Targeted Elk Brucellosis Surveillance Project, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) conducted elk capture operations in both the northern portion of the Tendoy Mountains southwest of Dillon and in the southern portion of the Bangtail Mountains northwest of Livingston.

This project is a joint effort between the Montana Department of Livestock and FWP, with support from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

“Important on-the-ground work of this nature couldn’t happen without these partnerships,” said FWP research wildlife biologist Dr. Kelly Proff
https://elknetwork.com/rmef-funding-assists-montana-brucellosis-surveillance-project/

Last edited:
To the original poster I would highly recommend hunting region 4, 3, 2, or 5 instead of region 1. Throughout the year we have 30-50 elk that roam across my neighbors land and a larger herd resides across the river. The past two winters really hurt the deer and turkey numbers around Kalispell, and I think a lot of elk stayed on our side of the river when it froze the past winters and moved out of the mountains for good. It’s better feed down in the flathead valley and minimal hunting pressure. Expect tough hunting conditions and limited elk/deer sightings on public lands in Montana. I hope this helps and welcome to Kalispell. Preston

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back