Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk Ammo Help Needed

I have a 7mm rem mag and I've shot both the Partition and the Accubond in the 160gr and both are nails. the Partition has a B.C of .0475 and the Accubond is 0.531. the b.c wont really come into play tell you get out to 4,5,6 hundred yards then that's when you see the difference. Either one in the fed premium line would be a great choice. Good Luck on you hunt

I have killed elk with 150gr Ballistic Tip Federals in my 7mmRem mag, one was 440yds away and piled him up on the spot...it was a well place shot so I wouldnt have expected anything different. I decided to get away from the Ballistic Tips and get something with a little more penetration for elk just incase there was a circumstance where I happened to make a little more marginal shot, so now I shoot the Hornady 162gr BTSP which happen to group well in my rifle. I have only killed one elk with them and had no problems.

I've been shooting ttsx and tsx from barnes for years...............they have performed flawless in my 7mm rem mag . I shoot the 160 grain and it seems that is the perfect combo with my rifle.

Very helpful. Grouping on the 160g Nosler partitions is a little less than hoped for but I have confidence in my shot placement and know my limitations. Based on the posts I do (now) have confidence in the bullet itself as well for an elk - that was my main concern. I didn't want to get into a situation that the shot angle had potential bone (quartering towards) and wonder if I should pull the trigger. Confidence in equipment is paramount - thanks all...

My 7mag likes Barnes 145LRX (actually I have yet to find a Barnes bullet it doesn't like)
2011-07-25_18-48-06_398-1.jpg

The elk didn't like it so much.
Picture270-1.jpg

The 168gr Berger worked for me last week in Wyoming out of a 7MM SAUM. at 50 yards in the timber through the shoulder and stopped under the hide on the other side

I have killed a moose and big bull elk with 160 grain accubonds. Bullets recovered were perfect mushrooms against the hide on the far side with 85%+ weight retention. Neither animal went far and they are wicked accurate out of my Savage 7mm. Cant ask for more than that.

If your gun likes the 150 grain load, why not shoot that? I wish I had a nickle for every elk taken with a 150 grain bullet.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back