EHD outbreak S/E MT...

matt0550

Today I received a call from a rancher in S/E Montana who is enrolled in BMA explaining that she was cancelling all reservations due to the amount of dead deer located on her property and that her family has only seen 6 animals in a day in recent weeks down from 100 in a day a month or more back. She has been in touch with FWP and advised them of the conditions.

I've done my homework on EHD and am very aware of its potential - my question is if anyone knows the extent that this outbreak has spread? I know there was a large swath around Arvada, WY that was hit really hard and as the crow flies, this is only 100-150 miles away.

I've reached out to FWP wildlife lab and also my area Game Warden but have not heard back yet (I know they area extremely busy).

Anyone else have anything on this?

Same Story in Western ND. F&G is refunding deer tags in affected counties.

243327421_1525910417767374_8620954024073067957_n.jpg

245540892_1525910427767373_6023293101083855793_n.jpg

North Dakota is letting people turn back tags. I suspect there is nothing left, barren waste land.

Today I received a call from a rancher in S/E Montana who is enrolled in BMA explaining that she was cancelling all reservations due to the amount of dead deer located on her property and that her family has only seen 6 animals in a day in recent weeks down from 100 in a day a month or more back. She has been in touch with FWP and advised them of the conditions.

I've done my homework on EHD and am very aware of its potential - my question is if anyone knows the extent that this outbreak has spread? I know there was a large swath around Arvada, WY that was hit really hard and as the crow flies, this is only 100-150 miles away.

I've reached out to FWP wildlife lab and also my area Game Warden but have not heard back yet (I know they area extremely busy).

Anyone else have anything on this?
Montana is a big state maybe consider heading west to find better hunting. It’s a state wide tag.

Montana is a big state maybe consider heading west to find better hunting. It’s a state wide tag.
We also have a draw Pronghorn tag each, so moving would only be an option after and "IF" those are filled first...bad timing, having applied for 4 years only to draw on the doorstep of a dismal slide.

SD is getting hit terribly too. I am looking at my envelope with tags in it that I am returning. SD is accepting tags back no questions asked for full refund and preference points rectified. I have spoken to a couple ranchers and several others who are finding alarming large numbers of dead whitetails.

We also have a draw Pronghorn tag each, so moving would only be an option after and "IF" those are filled first...bad timing, having applied for 4 years only to draw on the doorstep of a dismal slide.
Damn the luck, EHD can effect pronghorn too. And pretty telling when Montana FWP actually cuts tags for anything. Good luck!!

Damn the luck, EHD can effect pronghorn too. And pretty telling when Montana FWP actually cuts tags for anything. Good luck!!
We're gonna give 'er for all we're worth - miss 100% of pitches you don't swing at right?

Working in southwest North Dakota have found quite a few dead whitetail. Now that the sunflowers are thinning out you can look into them and see lots more dead ones that weren’t visible. Can walk almost any creek in south eastern Montana right now and smell the dead whitetail

We found lots of dead Whitetails and some dead Muleys in different spots in Wyoming when we were there around the first of the month..

Found 16 dead Whitetails in a short span of river bottom just south of the MT line back then as well. Looked like EHD and some blue tongue. Deer herd was in trouble where we saw this going on..

Back