Yeti GOBOX Collection

EHD mortality

mtmiller

Well it was pretty depressing this year when we had epizootic hemorrhagic disease active in my hunting area. I found ~100 dead deer, but no real monsters. I found this one not far from my house. One of the areas I hunt is on the Milk River and there were dead deer floating every several hundred yards. Guess it will be a few years before the bucks make a good comeback.

2001%20EHD%20victim%201.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-31-2002 21:50: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

We got hit down here in Southern Illinois a couple of years ago and it was not a pretty site. We found about 45 deer while farming that summer, and all of them were near water. I was told it was because the disease makes them thirsty.

Elkchsr,

We got it pretty bad. The state biologist estimated a loss of about 75% in our area. I would guess that number was higher at the refuge where I work.

Sorry to hear abou that!!! But just think of the resources that the bucks that survived will have to their disposal!!! Good luck. My dad has always wanted to hunt the Milk River after seeing it on TV.

This sounds like one of natures ways of reducing the deer herd. Too bad the anti hunters couldn't see this sight. Maybe ethical hunting wouldn't seem quite as bad.
:( :(

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back