Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

EDITED: Artifacts found while hunting / hiking?

Just imagine the debates we'd have over spray vs. a gun if that sumbitch was still roaming the breaks.!
Hah! Screw both! An AT4 with a debate over tasteful man bun, Jose Curevo trophy pics. 🙂

Hunting Wife, that would be the epic of eye popping finds! That is amazing! Were you looking for dinosaur artifacts or was this a random find? Either way, epic of epic finds! Did you record the find? Any word on the animal that belonged?

Here a some of the dinosaur teeth I’ve found over the years. My favorite being the one on the left, decided it was from a young Hadrosaur.
I have found a triceratops skull but I like knowing it is still in the ground and it is ruined by iron so the skull would be of little value to a museum.

Sytes, come pull fence with me this summer on the CMR and I'll show you where the first T-Rex in Montana is rumored to have been found.

Wonder if the APR has any intentions of bringing T-Rex back and if they might carry brucellosis :unsure:

Last edited:
I found this octagonal Ball jar in a trash pile below a mine in the Ruby's. There is actually a "Ball" jar collector site that dated the jar to the 1940's. There were also a couple of ale cans from a brewery in San Fran with barely readable logos from that era as well.

Hunting Wife, that would be the epic of eye popping finds! That is amazing! Were you looking for dinosaur artifacts or was this a random find? Either way, epic of epic finds! Did you record the find? Any word on the animal that belonged?

Those photos are from an area with other documented finds and I believe they were from hadrosaurs. I’ve come across a similar piece randomly once in a different location, and don’t know the species.

In Nevada where we often hunt you can find Native American sheep blinds on ridge tops. Most are just piles of rocks but the coolest one I’ve found was U shaped and big enough to sit in. I spent most of one day sitting in it watch for deer and being amazed that I was hunting in a structure built up to 6000 years ago for hunting. It was an amazing experience.102408102409

Over the years I have stumbled into quite a few ancient rock carvings. Some are in places that few have ever seen. This one however is in a popular spot. So much so that the forest service had to place a sign warning people to not add to the carvings. Of course that didn't stop everyone.

Attachments

• 100_0217.JPG
    100_0217.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 64
I guess I should clarify that all of our Native American artifacts where found on private property, from farm fields and eroded creek banks.

Add to that, east of the big rivers you might as well pick them up and keep them. We have these things called loam and frost heave. An arrow head that is sitting on the ground one fall can be pulled into the ground by the freeze/thaw cycle by the next spring and not pop up again for many years. Tilling fields also buries and reveals artifacts, often damaging them

This past summer I was hiking on the Custer and noticed three up right stones in a row ( the third is hard to see as it is broken off) I am sure that there is more to the story of the three stones that has long been forgotten.

Would be interesting to see what they represent or if headstones, the history of who...
That is a pretty cool find.

I came across an area bordering the Sapphire's that appeared to be a family shrine type setting(?).
Old wooden small plaques with names etched, and family names added as people passed. Even as recent as the 80's, if I recall. Odd enough, a knife stuck into the adjacent tree to the hilt. There were other human crafted items that made me think at one time it was an earlier homestead site(?) In the National Forest.

Add to that, east of the big rivers you might as well pick them up and keep them. We have these things called loam and frost heave. An arrow head that is sitting on the ground one fall can be pulled into the ground by the freeze/thaw cycle by the next spring and not pop up again for many years. Tilling fields also buries and reveals artifacts, often damaging them

The majority of our artifacts are from plowed fields. The better artifacts and pots we found on a site that our friend owns eroding out of the banks of the Ohio River. Pre-dam, the current "banks" would have been about centerline of the site. They were found in large pieces and glued back together, except for one that was found completely intact. The one pot to the left was bought from dads friend and is supposedly from a western tribe, and has paperwork associated with authentication and legalization for collection. Our pots are from the Fort Ancient culture (1000AD to 1750AD). The three points in the first photo were all found while hunting. The longest was found in a creek that I was crossing to get to my stand. The one right next to it was found on a hillside washout below some cliffs and is Paleoindian approx. 10,000 years old. The one circled on the left was found on a logging road I was walking in on. Logging roads are a great place to look, many of the smaller points were found walking these in the spring turkey season or fall deer season. It is amazing what is just laying under the leaves that the log skidders flip out.

I found an old cork stopper style Hoppes #9 bottle the other day cutting firewood. I must have walked right by that thing dozens of times without seeing it since I have been here. Where the summer house was....a tent. Stakes are still there.

So if you found the Fenn hidden treasure chest which is most likely on Federal land wold you take and keep your mouth shut?

Nothing to compare with any of the aforementioned items. While private Ranch hunting in Colorado, the Ranch owner brought us to his "original" family cabin, over 150 years old. Only parts of it remained standing, but we noticed the outhouse has port windows on the sides. The Rancher said it was in case the Indians attacked while you were in the outhouse, you could shoot out of the ports. I thought about what life was like back then.
Back in 1990 while hunting the Quinlan Ranch in New Mexico, I found an ancient pan-type trap about 10 inches in diameter, with parts of the chain and jaws still intact. The owner told me he can't ever remember anyone trapping on the Ranch, and the ranch had belonged to the Family for three generations. He let me keep it, and I cleaned it up, and displayed it on my fireplace. Lost it (along with the house) in Katrina.

Last edited:
A neighbor of antlerradar's, who lives about 40 miles away has one of the most phenomenal collection of artifacts I've ever seen. Many of them are from the push to remove the American Indians from SE Montana and NE Wyoming.

Back