Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Eco Boost

idnative1948

Is the jury still out on the Fords with Eco Boost? Some of you that have them, what is your opinion after driving them for awhile?

I looked at them a few months ago after dumping my F250 with the 6.0 diesel. That great new engine cost me $14000 in a year. I googled ecoboost problems and there are some issues with studdering and stalling and a few recalls so it may be a good engine or might be another 6.0. I would have bought the 5.0 engine instead of chancing the ecoboost but I bought a Tundra instead. Good luck.

I went with the 5.0, my cousin with the ecoboost. He gets 8 MPGs better than me and has had no problems but like any new technology....the results wont be fully seen for a few years

I do have one, and I love it! I have about 30k on it. It has a ton of power and torque, better than the V8. I have had 6000lbs behind it, and it had no trouble towing it on the relatively flat ground here in MN. If you are going to be doing some heavy towing out in the mountains it might not be what you are looking for. The stock tires are week. I blew one on my first trip out west last fall in the Bighorns. They are basically just big car tires.

Any specific questions?

I bought a new 2011 with the Eco Boost. So far so good, no issues at all. I pull a 19' travel trailer with it and have not had any problems.

I bought a 26' bumper pull camper last winter. At the time I bought it I had a 2011 Tahoe with the 5.3 V8. Stability wise the Tahoe did great but pulling the camper over the Nevada mountains it really struggled. Traded the Tahoe for an Eco Boost and what a difference!! If you plan on towing make sure the Eco boost is the Max Tow package. With that package the truck will have 3.73 gears, bigger mirrors and heavier rear suspension. Truck gets 18 mpg empty. Love our Eco boost!

Back