Caribou Gear

Eberlestock J105 Pack

I have the 04 and it has worked well. I know tfinalshot also has one and I think Oscar blew Glen for one. hump ;) :D

I've got the J104 also and I like it. My only complaint is it rides a little low on my back which they fixed with the adjustable harness on the J105.

I've got the 104 too. It is a great daypack and the rifle scabbard is an awesome feature. I will say that it isn't that comfortable when loaded up heavy with a lot of meat, compared to other packs I have. Sounds like the 105 fixes that problem though. Overall, its an awesome hunting pack.

Well, a lot of guys love these packs so I'm hoping it'll work out well for me as well. I used to hunt a spot for mulies during our early September season that is only about a mile from the road, as the crow flies, but 3 miles by trail with a 3000 foot elevation gain. I used to leave the trailhead at 3:30 in the morning so I could get up to the top just at sunrise, hunt all day, then hike back down to the truck in the dark at night, and do it all again the next day. That's not fun anymore. This year I want to hike up there and stay for 2 or 3 nights, and I wanted to have the ability to bring an entire boned out deer down in one trip. This pack should do the trick. My external frame pack just isn't comfortable enough that I want to spend that much time with it strapped to my back. My next purchase will be some sort of shelter, and a good sleeping pad. Not sure whether to go with a tent or a bivy sack. I'm considering the GoLite Hex 3, or something similar. Here's what it looks like:

Attachments

• GoLite.jpg
    GoLite.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,679
I've gone the bivvy sack route and it's not much fun in wet weather. A quality light weight tent is the way to go in my book.

That's what I'm thinking too. The bivy sack would be nice if you could be fairly certain it wasn't going to rain or snow, at least not for any long period of time, but September in the mountains is anything but predictable. The GoLite Hex 3 sounds great to me, except being floorless, bugs could be a problem.

It also look pretty expensive. I have an MSR Zoid 1 that I really like. Nice and light and not too expensive. Think I picked up a new one on Ebay for ~$125 a few years ago. Still wokring well.

Washington Hunter said:
The bivy sack would be nice if you could be fairly certain it wasn't going to rain or snow, .

If you have that certainty, you don't need a tent or a bivvy... Tents are always nicer but not as nimble. Depends on if you plan on sleeping in the same spot 3 nights in a row....

mtmiller, yes it is kind of expensive especially if you get the floor or the "nest." But it also seems like it would be versatile and very roomy compared to the other options. I will check into the MSR Zoids, since you mentioned it.
Jose, I think I definitely will want some sort of shelter, even if the weather forecast isn't calling for any precipitation. I do want to have the ability to be mobile and don't want to be tied down to any particular spot so I won't be setting up any sort of permanent camp. I'd like to pack up the tent/bivvy sack and load it in my pack when I wake up in the morning, so that I have no need to return. Do you think that a tent such as the one mtmiller uses would be too much of a PIA to set up every night and take down every morning? If so, maybe I would be better off with a bivy sack. Also I don't know yet whether I will be hunting solo or with a partner so that's another dillema. If I do get a tent should I get one that's big enough for two, or should each of us carry our own one-man tent.

I'm seriously thinking of giving a Hennesy Hammock a try for summer/early fall outings.

I know I'd rather sleep in a Hex 3 or similar tent than a bivy. However, that is a pretty big tent of going solo. Pick up the most recent issue of Backpacker , it's their gear guide issue with some great info on lots of tents.

WH,
Look into a piece of Tyvek. It is much lighter and pretty dang dry. The thing I don't like about tents if you are moving each day is that is it is a pain to set up and take down 1 hour after daylight/darkness, which is when you should be hunting until.

I've got the MSR Zoid I as well, and really like it. I will say that it might not be the way to go if you're taller. Miller and I are both kinda sawed-off. ;) I also would hate to spend a couple of rainy days inside of it.

1_pointer said:
I'm seriously thinking of giving a Hennesy Hammock a try for summer/early fall outings.

I know I'd rather sleep in a Hex 3 or similar tent than a bivy. However, that is a pretty big tent of going solo. Pick up the most recent issue of Backpacker , it's their gear guide issue with some great info on lots of tents.

I'm not sure I could sleep in a hammock, and I'm not brave enough to even try it. I'll see if I can find that Backpacker magazine, thanks for the info.

The thing I don't like about tents if you are moving each day is that is it is a pain to set up and take down 1 hour after daylight/darkness, which is when you should be hunting until.
I differ from Jose here a bit. If I'm hunting on the move, I usually try to get to/near a place I want to hunt early to mid afternoon and set up the tent. Then I go hunt til dark. Just a different way of skinning the same cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back