PEAX Equipment

Eberlestock J105 Pack

Washington Hunter said:
Oak, how much time does it take to set up and tear down the Zoid 1, if you are doing it in the dark?
I've never done it in the dark, but I don't imagine it would be too bad. It's just a tent. ;)

There's a good discussion on 24hourcampfire in the Backpack Hunting section on bivies vs. tents.

Get a tent. Need a place for gear to get out of the weather. For me a 2 man is about ideal for myself and gear. A 2 man with 2 men in it is fine if you're partner puts a little effort into organization, and doesn't have their crap strewn out over the surrounding area.

I've set up many a tent in the dark and don't mind it. I'm considering a new tent this year as my Eureka has quite a good many mends in it. I'm looking at single wall tents and have yet to settle on one. For size I really like the MSR Missing Link, but I'm unsure how rugged it is. The low price tag scares me some too. Typically with gear, price tag shows quality.

Tyvek is the cat's ass. You can buy it on Ebay by the foot for a very reasonable price. It's lighter than plastic, and it is very strong. I use it for a ground cloth. It'd be perfect for a footprint of a floorless shelter.

T Bone- If you are looking at single walls, check out the Bibler/Black Diamond tents with eVent fabric. Pricey, but I've heard nothing but good about them. If you decide to get one, I may be able to save you a few bucks as their store/outlet is in SLC. Another option are the new tents by Big Agnes. They're double wall, but lighter for size than most every single wall. They can also be set up with just the rainfly/footprint to really cut some ounces. Backpacker has been giving both of these tents rave reviews for the last year or so.

You got to go with a Kifaru teepee. They are bombproof, lite, and takes minutes to put up and take down. Not to mention the wood burning stove you can put in there...

I ended up buying a Eureka Pinnacle 2XTA. It's a 2 man tent, aluminum poles, just a little on the heavy side (about 5 pounds.) It's probably not as good as some of the other tents mentioned, and definitely not as nice as a Kifaru, but it's all I wanted to spend right now. Got it for $114 including shipping from ebay. Hopefully it'll work for me, the little bit that I will actually be using it.

Attachments

• pinnacle.jpg
    pinnacle.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 271
WH,

My current tent is a Eureka that is very similar to yours. I've used it for a lot of nights and it has served well enough. Be sure to take the time to seam seal it very thoroughly.

T Bone, that's good to hear. I forgot to mention Eureka is giving cash rebates on many of their tents right now. I'll be getting a $20 rebate. Can't beat that. $94 for a brand new tent.

Low weight, high and dry

Check out the golite hex3. I have used this tent with mylar space blankets as the flooring in 70 mph winds at altitude in the mountains of Gunnison, and have saved 3-4 pounds of weight of a conventional 2 wall 3 + season tent.
Still have the warmth and with proper placement all of the waterproofness.
2.5lbs 3 man vs 4.75-6.75 lbs 2 man tent 2 wall.
We just throw down the space blankets, throw the z-rest on top, throw the sierra designs ontop of that and you are ready to snooze.
Weight savings on my back is what I am looking for...

Forgot to mention

In my last post I failed to mention several things.....
I have been hunting in the mountains of Colorado for elk with the hex 3 tent as a spike camp tent, as a main camp tent I use a Kelty Vortex 3, also I should have mentioned that I use a Camptrails Outfitters pack and frame in the 6500 cu inch range to get there with the gear,(spike camp.... 2 miles from the truck) and use a 3000 cu inch golite lite speed pack as my daily run and gun pack during the elk archery season.
Losing the weight off my back each year has increased my abilities to hunt and stalk elk. This year will be my seventh in the mountains and through planning will be my lightest. (Until the meat hits the ground):D :D :D

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back