Eating pine squirrels?

DouglasR

Anybody on here do this?
It looks like the Colorado season is open through the end of February and since I’ve already got a license it might be kinda cool to shoot a couple from skis.
The obvious issue is... the ones I usually see are pretty small.
Like it might be hard to clean them and you’d prob need at least a few to get a meal.
Does anybody do this regularly?
Is it a waste of a good squirrels life?
Anybody got the hook up on cool spots with some foxes hanging around?
Any special recipes for these guys?

There nasty pine tasting but fun as hell to shot. Growing up they were open year round and with no limit (trying to encourage harvest) cause they supposedly can impact populations of greys and fox squirrel. I compare hunting them to pdogs or ground squirrels, fun with a .22 and is basically just blasting...lol

Do it! I saw/heard probably over a hundred on my WY trip last month. They provide a good challenge in running and hiding in conifers. Even if they tasted like complete garbage I think it would be worth the experience.

Yea they do not taste good at all, and I have tried a couple different ways. I would imagine that if a fella was real determined, he could brine for 24+ hrs, boil, change the water a time or two, then cook the shredded meat into a chili. Definitely fun and ridiculously easy to hunt.

Winter small game hunting in CO is tough, but can be hugely rewarding if you actually stumble into a snowshoe hare or something. I'm sure there are lots of places where hunting from skis would be very doable. You still have a few weeks to find some Abert's!

Back