Eastern WA Opener.

Big luke1981

Well We are in our hotel room getting everything ready for opening day of elk here in Eastern Wa tomorrow. No special tags this year and only have a couple of days to hunt so we are joining the crowds for the general spike only season here in central WA. We are hoping to get my girlfriend Kyli into some elk tomorrow as it is her first real elk hunt. There is a fair number in our area on public ground running around but there is also alot of pressure. should be a great time either way. Will post some updates later on. Good luck to everyone on their quests this weekend.
Lucas

Well after putting in some days here this last week, I only have a tag to hang on the wall. It has been really tough here in WA. First part of the week you could not see more than 20 yards in any direction due to the fog clouds and rain. If we went low into the areas where we could see there was no elk. We did finally see our fist elk after 2 1/2 days of looking at clouds. Unfortunatly they were all cows and calfs. I talked to our local game wardens and they said it was the worst week for hunting in a long time. I think alot of the problem was the lack of snow in the higher elevations, not enough to bring them down. I am fairly new to this site and would love to hear from anyone else who happened to hunt here in Eastern Wa for elk this week. Anyways still have a late whitetail hunt and a new late turkey hunt to look forward to so it is not over yet.
Good luck to all and happy hunting..

I have to deal with the fog sometimes here in Western MT too...it sucks big time if you are used to using optics or don't have any snow.

A friend drew a coveted big bull tag. We hunted hard, looked at a lot of bulls, but never could close in on anything over 300. That is where he set his sights. We did see three that would make that mark, one that would push 350. Here is a lousy pic of him through the spotting scope. He was pushing 2 miles off so the picture isn't very good. We could have killed several 5 points and a couple of small sixes, but in my opinion you don't draw this tag to shoot them.
SANY0396.jpg

SANY0397.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back