Eastern sports & Outdoor show boycott

I'm curious if Reed Expos was getting heat for putting on the Shot Show which cause them to re-evaluate their position for the PA Show.

I know Reed did the SHOT Show in 2012 and I'm pretty sure they did it in 2011 too. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward, as tactical stuff has been a growing segment in the SHOT Show in the past couple of years, it would seem to be a very tough decision to deny them from a PR standpoint.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned that they are a UK Company, I know nothing of the industry, but my guess is there are very few (if any others) can can put on an event as large as something as the SHOT Show. Regardless, they have a US office employing US employees if that is what people are getting worked up about.

I'm curious if Reed Expos was getting heat for putting on the Shot Show which cause them to re-evaluate their position for the PA Show.

I know Reed did the SHOT Show in 2012 and I'm pretty sure they did it in 2011 too. It will be interesting to see what happens going forward, as tactical stuff has been a growing segment in the SHOT Show in the past couple of years, it would seem to be a very tough decision to deny them from a PR standpoint.

I'm not sure why people are so concerned that they are a UK Company, I know nothing of the industry, but my guess is there are very few (if any others) can can put on an event as large as something as the SHOT Show. Regardless, they have a US office employing US employees if that is what people are getting worked up about.

Think they are referencing the U.K. Gun control model

At the risk of becoming the next HT chew toy, I have to agree, especially about Zumbo.

When I am in one of my Blacktail deer spots and I step around a manzinita, and see someone in full Camo with an AR, My heart rate goes through the roof and I hope it is the CAMP commandos rather than a marijuana grower with a twitchy trigger finger.

Here I am, a gun owner, and life long hunter and even my first thought is that black guns are scary looking. Now I know that it's the guy behind the gun. But given the choice between a stranger with a model 70 and one with an AR, my gut is going to TRUST the Bolt action guy, while I think the AR fella could be Randy Weaver from Ruby Ridge...

TACTICAL weapons have a PR problem that they need to come to grips with. When the police use them, they are kicking down doors-SCARY. When a pot grower shoots 30 rounds over your head, SCARY...Black guns MENACING....Shock and awe..

I don't want to see any new gun or ammunition legislation. Unfortunately appearances dictates first impressions. It is hard to win the hearts and minds of naive people who only see the object in news clips of SWAT teams and drug dealer shootouts.

The closest metaphor I can think of is:

If you have a NASCAR Stock car with straight pipes at the stoplight next to me in town, I'm going to assume you are going to burn rubber when the light changes. You tell me that it has all the SMOG stuff under the hood but, I can't tell just from looking.

Or...

I know your Pit bull is a gentle dog who plays with your kids, but why did you cut his ears the way the dog fighters do?

Or ....

I know she is a nice straight A student, but she is dressed like a High dollar Hooker....

Jim Zumbo got his ass handed to him for saying this sort of thing and I think the firearms industry missed his point that the perception in the general public was not good.

I wish I had a way to educate every anti gunner, but I don't.

You and Jim Zumbo and anyone who agrees with these comments can go choke themselves :D

On February 16, 2007, Zumbo published an entry on his blog which read, in part:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms. I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers." Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms." This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods

choke_zps5df0676b.gif

It is too bad that the show will lose money, BUT so will the state of New Russia(York) and that is what sends to message. New Yorkers have voted those anti idiots into power forever and the chickens are coming home to roost. Reality is hitting home FINALLY. This is only the beginning and it has nothing to do with ARs. I could not care less about ARs, but they are no more than a poster child at this point because they are an easy target. The bolts and pumps will be next if the anti crowd has their way.

OFFICIAL SHOCKEY STATEMENT REGARDING ESOS:

Due to recent decisions made by Reed Exhibitions regarding the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, Jim and Eva Shockey will not attend this year’s event. We have carefully considered the feelings of our fans, customers and business partners in making this decision. We will miss seeing all of our friends who visit us in Harrisburg each year. Thank you for your support and understanding.

- Team Shockey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back