Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

East side of the Crazy Mountains

wingman1

Since my bowhunting spot in Central Montana has become overly crowded with other sportsmen, it is time to look for another spot. I have spent a great deal of time flying aerial surveys of central to eastern Montana and have found from the air that the Crazies had a lot of elk in them. From what I could tell, it had alot of 330 plus bulls with bull to cow ratios of at least 30 to 100. I have not hunted it from the ground but am thinking about it next year. Any feed back would be appreciated. I would like to start helping fellow hunters as much as I can, so if you would like some of my info from any part of the state pm me and I will either tell you what I have seen or will check it out for you next time I am flying that area.

Last edited:
Majority of the elk are on private. Majority of the landowners are still old school ranchers. Locals hunt it hard and depending on who draws tags, dictates the access they allow to the "non-locals". Access was cut back quite a bit after a hunter started the big fire a couple of seasons back.

Where is that picture that 402 uses of James Vanderbeek crying at when you need it.

I usually save this for schmalts but since you asked.

dawson-crying.jpg

Sounds like a great place to hunt the public/private interface! Thanks for your input, but when I flew it, that was not the case. I saw alot of elk on public. And only one part is special draw for bow and not very many people apply for that area. Most of the range is public and otc. I just need to get on the ground and do some bushwacking. Thanks

You are right about many of the elk being on public. But, the best access is through private. Archery is by far your best chance for public elk, with opening day the best for rifle. After that, many mover to private, or are on public that is virtually inaccessible without access across private.

One of my CPA partners hunted it last year and had a blast. Have another friend who has connections over there, and he shoots some great bulls.

I know some of the landowners, and all are great people. They are realizing the value of the elk adn the access their properties provide.

As someone mentioned, they do hold opportunity for their family and friends, which I think is really cool. Access, for archery is by far the easiest, but as many guys find out about it, archery access get more and more difficult. I don't even apply, as I don't want to be one more person hounding these landowners for permission.

With more and more bulls from Sweetgrass County showing up in B&C and P&Y, that area is becoming much more popular.

Good luck to all who draw there. If any of you draw, I will try to help, if I can.

The east side is about 1/2 and 1/2 general vs. special draw. The northern portion is general. Southern portion is broken up into a few smaller special draw units.

There is a reason that herd is doing so well. Not a lot of wolves and access issues to get at the elk. Trust me, the best hunting/access is on or through the private. Not saying you can't kill elk on the public, I have friends every year that do.

Last edited:
I hunted the crazy mtns almost every weekend last year for bow. My cousin and I both managed to get our bulls on the 3rd weekend of rifle. I passed up on a few nice but smaller bulls, I shot mine, an hour later my cousin shot his. Nice 4 mile pack out one way. It took us a few days to get them out but the 2 of us did it. wingman1 I sent you a PM. We were on the northern side and only saw 2 other people. An outfitter and his client. That was on the last day of packing. Wish we got pics of the look on his face when he rounded the corner and saw us both packing out the heads. I'll post some pics when I got more time. Only managed to snap a few due to low batteries.

HB 285 may make lots of those districts popular. Unlimited archery tags tends to do that.

I hunted the crazy mtns almost every weekend last year for bow. My cousin and I both managed to get our bulls on the 3rd weekend of rifle. I passed up on a few nice but smaller bulls, I shot mine, an hour later my cousin shot his. Nice 4 mile pack out one way. It took us a few days to get them out but the 2 of us did it. wingman1 I sent you a PM. We were on the northern side and only saw 2 other people. An outfitter and his client. That was on the last day of packing. Wish we got pics of the look on his face when he rounded the corner and saw us both packing out the heads. I'll post some pics when I got more time. Only managed to snap a few due to low batteries.

Look forward to your pics, must have missed them if you posted earlier this year. Congrats on a double.

Get away from the roads and it's great. Lots of elk, some nice deer, and even ran into a few bears.

Been thinking about going for spring bear this year. Pretty much the same advice as far as hunt the public but access thru private? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

It's always dependent on the weather...but that side holds a ton of snow late. In order to hunt the higher public/forest I would plan for later in the season. Most of the lower stuff is private.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back