Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Easiest places to draw Moose, Goat and Sheep tags, for youth.

CarsonSmithElkHunter

Hello, I am really wanting to hunt Moose, and especially, Goats, and Sheep. I am 15. I was wondering where the easiest place to draw, and have pretty good harvest success. I live in Wyoming if that means anything.

You will have better odds applying in your home state as a resident than almost anywhere as a non-resident. Start building points and crossing your fingers come draw time. Good luck!

Apply in your home state. Out of state applications get pricey. With most of the points systems out of state application’s are more or less throwing money away.

Save $50/week for the next 3 years and give yourself the high school graduation present of a mountain goat hunt in Alaska when you're 18. Then the same for 8 years and do dall sheep in Alaska when you're 26, then moose when you're 32.
@CarsonSmithElkHunter what this guy said is your only sure option but if it’s fairly cheap in Wyoming you probably will want to apply there as a resident. I’d still save for Alaska too though.

Save $50/week for the next 3 years and give yourself the high school graduation present of a mountain goat hunt in Alaska when you're 18. Then the same for 8 years and do dall sheep in Alaska when you're 26, then moose when you're 32.

Is an AK mountain goat hunt really only ~$8K? Not doubting you, I've just never looked into it -- and now feel like I should.

Is an AK mountain goat hunt really only ~$8K? Not doubting you, I've just never looked into it -- and now feel like I should.
8-12 grand is kind of the price range they are in now. Basically just figure half the price of a sheep hunt.

Stuff seems to go up quick so if someone can get that deal don't hold back. When I was at Uni 10 years ago I remember dall sheep were $10k AUD. I thought man I can do this in a few years. Looked the other day and most are between $25-30k AUD.

Play your odds here in Wyoming, apply for areas with a good number of tags while you build PP and just maybe you can pull a random tag.

And, the idea of saving money for a guided trip is solid advice. You could look to Canada or NF for a more affordable guided moose hunt .
Who knows maybe the state will be putting more sheep tags in the resident draw in next few years, my spouse drew a random sheep tag a few years ago.

Great idea, now where does a 15yr old get $50 a week? Sure a part time job, but it would take a special kid with alot of determination to avoid blowing that money on girls,trucks and having fun.

Now for the real answer...get yourself educated, be the top of your class, find a job that pays obscene money.

You won't have to ask questions like, "where are my best odds of drawing"...buy your way to the front of the line, guided hunts with guaranteed tags, governors tags, things of that sort.

Waiting in line with the rest of us might get you there, having the money will open every door and assure you the opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back