Easiest places to draw Moose, Goat and Sheep tags, for youth.

I like the suggestion on saving for a guided goat hunt...also, a good mountain hunt is Tahr in New Zealand. I went guided on public land for $1600 in 2016....plus a bunch of frequent flier miles to get there. That being said, at 15 years old, I'd apply where you can afford it. You'll likely wait until the rest of us die, but eventually you may get a tag somewhere.

Build Wyoming points now after high school move to Alaska for college or trade school hunt as a resident all through your 20s and then move back to Wyoming and get use your resident points.

Carson, a NZ Hunt is an adventure that can be shared with your family. Went to NZ to hunt 2016 and returning this coming June. There are Kiwi friends that would help you in your quest. PM me for help if I can extend some information. MTG

Attachments

• 11462CAC-B76E-49AE-87DA-05362DF6D73F.jpeg
    11462CAC-B76E-49AE-87DA-05362DF6D73F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 3372A8B0-C32E-4296-BA17-718ED9425661.jpeg
    3372A8B0-C32E-4296-BA17-718ED9425661.jpeg
    996.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 3B0B59FD-FE2E-4089-BFB9-5CDB2633A2DE.jpeg
    3B0B59FD-FE2E-4089-BFB9-5CDB2633A2DE.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 408A2368-700A-4A11-B7FF-6CD4D0C59551.jpeg
    408A2368-700A-4A11-B7FF-6CD4D0C59551.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Carson, a NZ Hunt is an adventure that can be shared with your family. Went to NZ to hunt 2016 and returning this coming June. There are Kiwi friends that would help you in your quest. PM me for help if I can extend some information. MTG
Nice Mural behind that red stag! 👍

Idaho has some nonresident moose hunts that have between 5%-10% draw odds. Also, Idaho also does not have any preference points so everyone has the same odds of drawing. Bad part is the nonresident tag cost is $2,101.75.

If looking for a great first sheep hunt I would apply for a ewe tag in colorado. Same age as you and drew it with one point, but I am a resident. Beware it is a sheep hunt and it is very physical in most places.

Montana has cheaper ewe tags, and can draw them first try without points if you pick the right hunt.

Save up to go to college in Alaska.
As a resident you could go on multiple over the counter sheep hunts per year until successful (Season is Aug 10-Sept 20)
Cost of tags for resident = free....
^this!
either that or just keep applying in WY just like everybody else and wait and hope on the dream.....just like the lottery.

Apply for as many states as you can, and don’t forget the Super Tag/Dream Hunt raffles, they’re usually cheap and the odds are not much different than the State Wildlife Agency Odds. Good luck, and remember, some time the price of an application is the same price as a day dream.

If you’re like 99% of U.S. hunters, you’ll spend FAR more time working than hunting over your lifetime. @BuzzH ‘s career/hunt strategy might work for a few select souls out there willing to sell their souls to the devil, but chances are you’ll be well-served by finding a career you enjoy in a place you like to live, and figuring out how to make your hunting goals fit in that framework. If you’re thinking you might like to stay in WY, Applying for MSG in that state is a great place to start for a low cost. If you’re open to female hunts, there are far more opportunities than chasing antlers and bigger horns, and that is true in most states/place's you can hunt. Make up a budget for applications and hunt costs in case you draw so you are prepared for your adventure.

I would suggest splitting most of your money between recreational opportunity you can enjoy now, and investing in career education and training. I’d worry about saving up for a guided NF moose hunt or AK goat hunt until after you have your career established. Just a matter of life priorities, really.

Save up to go to college in Alaska.
As a resident you could go on multiple over the counter sheep hunts per year until successful (Season is Aug 10-Sept 20)
Cost of tags for resident = free....

^ What he said. I considered University of Alaska Fairbanks, but didn't do it. What might could have been, lol.

Carson, you got a lot of good info from your post. I was fortunate enough to draw a sheep tag several years back. There’s nothing quiet like putting your hands on the horns of your own sheep.
Here are a few ideas until you’re able to draw a tag:
Hunt mule deer early in the year in sheep country
Take a few days and go on a sheep hunt, but use a camera instead of a rifle.
Join your state sheep hunting organization. Volunteer with them. You’ll make amazing contacts.
Volunteer to go on a sheep hunt that someone else drew. Help glass, pack, etc.

Ask for raffle tags for Christmas and birthdays.

For moose I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to Alberta on a guided hunt. Around $8K all inclusive these days I think. Fun and maybe get a wolf with it. A lot easier than waiting on a draw in the Continental U.S. (Though some of us get lucky, then go self-guided). Both are pretty awesome.

Well gentlemen, as all know this CV has everything, everywhere in turmoil. My return trip to the South Island of NZ has been put on hold until 2021. I can wait and my wife, grandson and daughter in law have echoed the same reasoning. It will be even more of an adventure and we so look forward to the trip of a lifetime.
Please all be safe and keep your families safe. MTG

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back