Early Teal opens without much fanfare (or gunplay)

BrentD

Early teal season opened today. Of course, most of the ducks we saw were woodies or larger. some of the teal we saw (most) were not identifiable until they were outbound and out of range. So, not much shooting. BUT I've been taking a postdoc shooting for the last couple of summers and this morning she shot her first animal of any kind. A nice young teal - which was her centerpiece for dinner tonight as well. She was pretty excited. So much so that she was trembling enough to be shaking the weeds were sitting for a blind.

Gus made a nice retrieve on that bird, as it dove a few times, and he after it. Much of the bottom of the pond was uprooted in the process, but he got it.

However, I think this was his proudest moment. Gus is really an upland dog (at least that's the excuse I'm using today).

2R27vOK.jpg

Always good to just be out, even if the birds are scarce.

Now Gus, can we talk about retrieving the soft feathery ones only?? :sneaky:

Gus could make pack up a breeze! Do you ever try a teal call? I've had good results using an actual teal call instead of imitating a teal with a mallard call.

Thats a cool moment! Good on you for showing her that side of hunting.

Minnesota opener is not for a few more weekends but that hasn't stopped me from rigging up my decoys!

nope. no actual teal call. I wish i had one. maybe there is one one the box downstairs.

I'm going to scronge for some old tent poles to repurpose. we need more concealment.

I got mine from Amazon for $10. Seems to work well.

We got only three. The postdoc got two, including the head shot. She was 50% on the weekend. Gus was a little bummed since they were all DRT. He likes a little chase. Just spent an hour and a half getting the mud off my waders and dog.

Now it's time to clean the gun. No place has mud quite like Iowa.

Attachments

• 20190902_131826.jpg
    20190902_131826.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
We saw more woodies than BWT for sure, but still not that many compared to last year at this time. We saw more big ducks than we saw last year by a bunch. Today, we saw NO geese - sort of impossible, but true. This is not going as I planned. Early this year, there was lots of water and lots of nesting opportunities with good conditions until just recently. I thought the dry would help, concentrating birds around the remaining water. But that does not seem to be the case. They are AWOL, and I don't know where to look. Missouri/Kansas maybe.

That's too bad. I'll have to adjust my plans if that's the case.

I was in southern WI over the weekend and saw very few teal as well. Hopefully the weather up north cools down and starts pushing some birds south.

We saw more woodies than BWT for sure, but still not that many compared to last year at this time. We saw more big ducks than we saw last year by a bunch. Today, we saw NO geese - sort of impossible, but true. This is not going as I planned. Early this year, there was lots of water and lots of nesting opportunities with good conditions until just recently. I thought the dry would help, concentrating birds around the remaining water. But that does not seem to be the case. They are AWOL, and I don't know where to look. Missouri/Kansas maybe.

They are not in my part of Kansas. We are seeing very few.

Back