Early Call for Partner - 2013 Caribou Hunt

mdhunter61

Looking for a partner for a late August/early September DIY flyout caribou hunt. Probably 5-6 days hunting, and 6 days of travel if you’re not an Alaskan resident (1 day on each end of the hunt to travel to/from Alaska, 1 day on each end to drive to/from the staging location, and 1 day on each end to fly into and out of the field).

A bit about me - I’ve done 7 remote Alaskan hunts since 2002, and have been fortunate to shoot a bull moose, 4 caribou, and a wolf (my 2010 caribou hunt is posted on the forum). I’m 51 and in pretty good shape, 1400 miles on a road bicycle helps. I have tents, cooking gear, electric fence, spotting scope, and other gear – you would need to bring your clothes, binoculars, sleeping bag, personal gear, and rifle. I have an extra frame pack if you don’t have one; it’s not fancy but has packed moose and caribou just fine.

If you’ve hunted remote Alaska before and need a partner, shoot me a PM or an email and let’s talk. If you’ve never hunted Alaska but are serious about doing so, feel free to do the same. I have most of the planning and logistics dialed in, so I can give you ballpark costs for most of the big ticket items (travel, bush plane, license and tags, etc). Pics from some of my previous hunts are posted below.

What am I looking for in a partner? A safe and experienced hunter, who doesn’t complain when the animals aren’t cooperating and is comfortable being a long way from civilization. Someone in reasonable shape, as we’ll be packing any animals we shoot to the airstrip on our backs. Would prefer it if you didn’t snore, but haven’t always been lucky with that one. :)

Serious inquiries please – I’m happy to pass along info to anyone just curious about hunting Alaska, but I’m not thinking about a hunt next year – I’m hunting next year, and am looking for a partner to tag along.

DSCN1477_085.jpg

2010 Caribou

DSCN1420_028.jpg

2010 Caribou Camp - 2013 hunt will likely be in similar terrain.

Moose.jpg

2006 Moose

Wolf.jpg

2006 Wolf

Some nice looking animals there! A couple of years ago, I'd have taken you up on your offer, but am unable to at this time. Sounds like a blast. Best of luck!

I'm definitely interested in this one.Send me a pm.Looking to hit Ak. on one trip ahead of my moose hunt,or if you have a place for either or,even better.Have the gear the money and the desire

I'm definitely interested in this one.Send me a pm.Looking to hit Ak. on one trip ahead of my moose hunt,or if you have a place for either or,even better.Have the gear the money and the desire

Hey Scott,

I'll email you the detail info that I've been sending to people who have reached out so far. Look it over when you get a chance, and shjoot me an email with any questions you may have.

I'm mostly hunting caribou this year since 8-10 hunting days is better for a moose hunt, and I can only hunt 6 days or so this year. I may try to do moose/bou combos in future years!

Michael

Oh THWAK, surely you can leave the GF for a couple weeks or is she ''Laying down the law'' already?

LOL! That is not it at all...we've been together 4 years now and she is very understanding. Just have other stuff going on that would prohibit me from one of my dreams at the moment. :(

Decision is up to you .but I'd definitely like to be out there.This would help me with priority with 40 mile for my planned moose hunt.I have all the gear necessary for the trip,and love not being able to hear from anyone for a week;just hunt.Have you researched the caribou herd though.Last I heard they weren't flying for caribou but obviously that has changed

Michael is totally up front about this. we hunted 2 years ago after he posted a similar ad on another site. I was chosen and i am a better man for it. his budget will be very close. his equpment is top notch. he knows the alaska ropes/rules as good as any.
My biggest concern when hunting the bush is to have a partner who can pull us out of a jamb if I am unable, Michael can. I would love to hunt moose with him the next time around. He found me such a nice caribou that I don't have that itch anymore but, moose.....are you listening Michael?;)

If you seach the archives on this site, I posted a hunt recap a couple of years ago...Nicks alaska caribou or something like that----yes, I am too lazy to post a link.

Good luck!!

Michael is totally up front about this. we hunted 2 years ago after he posted a similar ad on another site. I was chosen and i am a better man for it. his budget will be very close. his equpment is top notch. he knows the alaska ropes/rules as good as any.

My biggest concern when hunting the bush is to have a partner who can pull us out of a jamb if I am unable, Michael can. I would love to hunt moose with him the next time around. He found me such a nice caribou that I don't have that itch anymore but, moose.....are you listening Michael?;)

If you seach the archives on this site, I posted a hunt recap a couple of years ago...Nicks alaska caribou or something like that----yes, I am too lazy to post a link.

Good luck!!

Hey Nick! Hope your early deer/elk hunts are going well. I could be up for an AK moose hunt next year, or a future year if next year doesn't work for you. You brought me good luck also, I shot the biggest of my 5 caribou on our 2010 hunt!

Michael

Scott (mixedbag) is a good guy. He'll follow thru and be a good partner. I met him thru here and hunted with him 2 years ago.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=243870

also try that one.

Michael will walk circles around most folks even with a loaded pack. He'll do it with your camera and take dozens of pics of your animal too.

I have shared an alaskan camp with 8 men so far. Mike is one of only 2 I would go with again. I really like his attitude-it doesn't hurt that he was hunting meat and I was hunting horns!!

Thanks Chris.I'm still looking to get back to Wyo this year.Danny and Mark can't do it.How bout you????We still have elk tags to fill and I know where we can do it

Partner Selected

Thanks to all of the hunters who responded to this post for a 2013 AK hunt partner! I've selected a partner for the 2013 hunt; best of luck to all of you as you plan your hunts for next year and beyond.

Michael

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back