Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ear Protection in the Field (Big Game Hunting)

What is your approach to hearing protection in the field while big game hunting?

• Ear protection is left in the shooting bag when I am in the field

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • I carry ear protection with me, sometimes I remember to put them in

Votes: 27 32.9%
  • I carry ear protection and always remember to put them in

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I wear them full time (and they are e-plugs that allow me to still hear)

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I wear them full time (and they are old-school, I hunt in silence)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
I think it's too late for me. All the years shooting from when I was a kid to old fartdom. Not to mention many, many rock concerts which left my ears ringing for days just like after a target practice session.
I have a constant ringing in my ears now.

I've worn them before while goose huntin, but only once or twice. My father wears them all the time in the goose and duck blinds and swears by the practice

I hunt strictly suppressed unless its shotgun. If I could only convince my friends to do the same. Shotgun, I need to figure something out! If its my turn to shoot, I am not so worried about it. If they are shooting, which is not suppressed, then I will scramble to find the ear plugs or use my fingers before they fire. Most of the time, they give me the chance.

I have braked rifles, so the plugs are going in.

Even when they weren’t braked, i still used protection.

For me, I can’t remember a time where I wouldn’t have had the time to put them in. I think a lot of people underestimate how much time they have. I also think a lot of people underestimate just how much 1 gunshot can damage your hearing. Its not about being macho or a pansy - I’m not interested in being 45 or 50 and needing hearing aids or being completely deaf.

I never wear them while I am out. but this year I am going to wear them!

I haven’t ever used them in the field. Its one of those best practices I know I should do but I don’t think about it until after the fact. When I hunt in New Mexico it would be easier simply because most of my opportunities are a bit further away. In Oklahoma and Arkansas, I hunt a lot of tree stands within 50 yards of likely shots. I think it might be a little more likely to mess up a hunt. Electronics could be the answer for that problem though.

I think it's too late for me. All the years shooting from when I was a kid to old fartdom. Not to mention many, many rock concerts which left my ears ringing for days just like after a target practice session.

What do those of you who wear hearing aids do? I take mine out and carry muffs with me.

I have never worn ear protection while out in the field, but I have noticed significant ringing after a shot the last couple years (especially with all the muzzle brakes) so I think it will start to save my hearing.

Protect what you have left. The last few years with my dad were lost because I could barely have a conversation with him.

I always wear some sort of ear protection while hunting. I just wish I started earlier. Constant ringing in the ears is a pain in the ass.

Protect what you have left. The last few years with my dad were lost because I could barely have a conversation with him.

I know what you mean, it's almost impossible to have a conversation with my 92yo mom.

I always wear some sort of ear protection while hunting. I just wish I started earlier. Constant ringing in the ears is a pain in the ass.

I think I'll get some of those foam ear plugs that hang around you neck until they are needed. I'm sure they'er much better than nothing at all.

The thread poll doesn't cover me - I shoot suppressed. I already have severe tinnitus, but to try and salvage my lousy hearing I became a suppressor convert. I love shooting suppressed.

The thread poll doesn't cover me - I shoot suppressed. I already have severe tinnitus, but to try and salvage my lousy hearing I became a suppressor convert. I love shooting suppressed.

Are suppressors readily available without hassle? How are they installed?

So.
I was laying in bed last with the windows open. I'm listening to the frogs and crickets/katydid sing as loud as I've ever heard in the fields around our house. I'm going through some thoughts and I realize the crickets had completely stopped and all I could hear was the frogs. "That's weird" I thought and continued my thoughts. A few minutes later I rolled onto my left side and the crickets were back loud as can be. What the heck? So I lift my left ear off of the pillow and plug my right ear. The crickets completely stopped. I cant hear them in my left ear.
That's new this summer. I did attend a tool concert a while back. My ears hurt for days.

Are suppressors readily available without hassle? How are they installed?

Unfortunately suppressors are not easily/readily available. You have to get a $200 government tax stamp for each suppressor. You'll wait approximately 8 months while they do the background check (or while they simply make you wait). You have to pay for the suppressor up front and this whole process artificially inflates the price. The good thing is they simply thread on the barrel and make shooting even more enjoyable. My son got one a few years ago and at first I was a naysayer, then after using his I was asking if he would help me get one. There is a hassle in getting one, but in the end I really enjoy using suppressors. There is a significant reduction in both sound and recoil. Despite the upfront hassle, I highly recommend looking into them.

After you are cleared with the background check, is there a wait for each further purchase/stamp request?

I've owned a pair for two seasons, but finally broke down and started using them last season and wish I hadn't waited so long. If I'm still hunting or stalking I prefer to wear them, because I can hear movement a lot better. Plus it's nice to shoot and not have your head ringing while in the woods. The first time I killed something while wearing them was unexpectedly smooth. The exception to wearing them are mornings with heavy dew, windy days, or hunting with someone that doesn't know how to walk through the woods. The additional noise is overwhelming and harder to pick up on an animal. I haven't dove hunted with them yet, but if 100 degrees they might stay in the bag then too.
Eventually I might upgrade to something less bulky, but these do fine for now.
https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6N0HQMXK3CPZ7GYMD3ZT

I'm also 26 and already have hearing damage in my right ear from shooting, so I think it's worth taking care of the best I can.

I just bought a couple pairs of these for my son and I. I do a good job with him making him use ear muffs when we shoot and dove hunt but then I end up having to yell at him or tap him on the shoulder when I need to talk to him. I typically never use them dove hunting and we have been spending more and more time the last couple years doing that. Hopefully these will be good for both of us.

Unfortunately suppressors are not easily/readily available. You have to get a $200 government tax stamp for each suppressor. You'll wait approximately 8 months while they do the background check (or while they simply make you wait). You have to pay for the suppressor up front and this whole process artificially inflates the price. The good thing is they simply thread on the barrel and make shooting even more enjoyable. My son got one a few years ago and at first I was a naysayer, then after using his I was asking if he would help me get one. There is a hassle in getting one, but in the end I really enjoy using suppressors. There is a significant reduction in both sound and recoil. Despite the upfront hassle, I highly recommend looking into them.

If you get stopped by a warden while hunting do they ask if the suppressor that you have is legal? Do they have some sort of number or other marking that shows that ownership is traceable to you?

kansasdad, each suppressor has to have its own tax stamp, even if you buy multiple suppressors at one time. If you buy a suppressor and later buy another, you'll now be subject to whatever the current wait time of their backlog is, currently I hear that's around 8 months.

antelopedundee, every suppressor has a serial number and would be traceable back to you. I know some people keep a photocopy of the paperwork in their gun case or truck, but not necessary.

If you're wondering where they're legal to hunt with this link goes to a map and website about suppressors.
https://americansuppressorassociation.com/education/

I carry ear plugs in the field and put them in before the shot (when big game hunting) if I have time. When pheasant hunting I have a ear plug in my left ear all the time, I’m right handed and don’t really need one in my right ear. This way I can still hear what’s going on as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back