E-Scouting for Elk using onX

When hunting steep Idaho country, Salmon B tag, what kind of areas do you look as good zones?

People often laugh when my first statement is, "To kill an elk you have to find an elk." Pretty simple, but not knowing how to consistently find elk was the biggest hurdle I faced in my elk hunting travels. Everything I do from the time I draw the tag until I am at the trailhead in the morning darkness is predicate on where I think I will find elk at whatever period of the elk calendar my tag is good for.

The greatest number of questions we get pertain to elk hunting. Most revolve around finding elk. Finding mature bull elk on public land is not easy, especially in the post-rut and late season periods.

In my experience, most of the question that arise when trying to find public land bull elk can be answered by explaining how we put together our plan for hunting when we get to the unit, or the process we call E-scouting. We usually have five days, often in a unit we've lever seen or hunted, and in those five days we must find and take a bull elk on camera. We need a plan for all five days we are there.

We released the first video this morning that is an overview of what the series will be like. It is about putting together a plan to consistently find bull elk on public land for whatever calendar period you will be hunting them.

[video=youtube_share;jmIciCbU6Co]

We have filmed most of the content for this series and it looks like we will end up somewhere between 10-12 videos to fully explain how we build our plan by E-scouting. Hope you find it worthwhile.
Randy's videos have made such a difference with my prep and scouting, thanks!

Ok, I've got the app and paid up for my annual subscription. How to I get the hunting statistics layer that you guys have on the video? Thank you for any help and thank you for your videos :)

Looking for help i'm not a rich man and have been looking into OnX app and the gohunt app as well. Can anyone tell me does gohunt charge for every state similar to OnX because i could get onx for 30 bucks a year or so but if i can't get other states that i'm interested in hunting would i be better off just going straight to the go hunt for 150 a year and does anyone know when they say year is that Calendar or is it from the date you purchase it?

Looking for help i'm not a rich man and have been looking into OnX app and the gohunt app as well. Can anyone tell me does gohunt charge for every state similar to OnX because i could get onx for 30 bucks a year or so but if i can't get other states that i'm interested in hunting would i be better off just going straight to the go hunt for 150 a year and does anyone know when they say year is that Calendar or is it from the date you purchase it?

GoHunt charges a flat rate which includes "Insider" and the new Maps feature.

I recently figured out the Onx elite membership includes Top Rut for draw odds. I am sure there was an email or something I missed when it was announced. I like the Onx mapping and tried Go Hunt and did not like the mapping. And didn't want to keep paying for just the draw odds since so much of it can be found on state website.

Does the newberg crew use OnX anymore. I don’t believe I’ve seen it referenced in any episode this season.

People often laugh when my first statement is, "To kill an elk you have to find an elk." Pretty simple, but not knowing how to consistently find elk was the biggest hurdle I faced in my elk hunting travels. Everything I do from the time I draw the tag until I am at the trailhead in the morning darkness is predicate on where I think I will find elk at whatever period of the elk calendar my tag is good for.

The greatest number of questions we get pertain to elk hunting. Most revolve around finding elk. Finding mature bull elk on public land is not easy, especially in the post-rut and late season periods.

In my experience, most of the question that arise when trying to find public land bull elk can be answered by explaining how we put together our plan for hunting when we get to the unit, or the process we call E-scouting. We usually have five days, often in a unit we've lever seen or hunted, and in those five days we must find and take a bull elk on camera. We need a plan for all five days we are there.

We released the first video this morning that is an overview of what the series will be like. It is about putting together a plan to consistently find bull elk on public land for whatever calendar period you will be hunting them.

[video=youtube_share;jmIciCbU6Co]

We have filmed most of the content for this series and it looks like we will end up somewhere between 10-12 videos to fully explain how we build our plan by E-scouting. Hope you find it worthwhile.
I have watched these every season and get good tips every time. Very helpful thanks for putting them together!

Yes many. I used to pin them all in GE, but got tired of it. Here's an example.
View attachment 150119

I've also found sharks (eastern Africa) and whales (Hawaii). Still looking for a moose and griz.
Get the hell outta town!? that’s incredible… HAHA I’m blown away. I’ve tried this so many times and always like YEAH RIGHT… applause to you, Sir

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back