E-Bike legality in Montana.

Doesn't take much speculation to know what effects more and easier access will have.
What if people used them only for retrieval purposes. I work with a guy that has one set up with a game cart. He didn't use it when he killed his elk but used it for hauling it out. Would more people be ok with the sole purpose of retrieval or not used at all.

What if people used them only for retrieval purposes. I work with a guy that has one set up with a game cart. He didn't use it when he killed his elk but used it for hauling it out. Would more people be ok with the sole purpose of retrieval or not used at all.

not me.

Yes, the trailer is the first option on the list. The one i am looking at has a 200 lb weight rating.
This is part of it for sure. Not everyone has the means or capability of maintaining horses and mules year round for their pack string.

Well like it or not e-bikes are here and they are only getting more and more popular. Wheather they will ever be legal behind gatted roads, we will have to wait and see.

Thankfully not everyone is against them, some are definitely for them.

Well like it or not e-bikes are here and they are only getting more and more popular. Wheather(sic) they will ever be legal behind gatted(sic) roads, we will have to wait and see.

Thankfully not everyone is against them, some are definitely for them.
You misunderstand. It is not opposition to e-bikes per se; it is the designation as "non-motorized" thus allowing them in some areas where trails are open only to non-motorized.

This is the October 22, 2019 media release from BLM. The earlier version was posted a few months back.

The guidance enables visitors to use these bicycles with a small electric motor (less than 1 horsepower) power assist in the same manner as traditional bicycles. The operator of an e-bike may only use the small electric motor to assist pedal propulsion. The motor may not be used to propel an e-bike without the rider also pedaling, except in locations open to public motor vehicle traffic.

Good read. I believe in Public Lands in Public Hands and if this was defined as a 60+ and ADA tool, I would be in support of the intention. Outside of that, I believe able bodied should continue with non motorized methods.

I'm sure there are millions of acres available but what are the chances of a 76 year old having a quality hunt with a decent chance of shooting the animal he's pursuing.
Some of you guys don't take into account what your life will be like at that age. If I have to use a e bike to continue doing what I love for as long as I can so be it.

"Right before light, a father hunting with his two sons walked up the trail behind me. He came up and said he didn’t want to get in front of me. We were on public land. At that moment, a quote from T.R. came into my head: “We do these things for the generations within the womb of time.” I told them to go ahead of me. There were three generations on that mountain all participating in the pursuit of a restored deer and elk population. " - Jim Posewitz

If I'm so lucky as to live to 76 I likely will still want to venture into the woods, but I wont try to destroy hunting opportunities for future generations in order to allow me to do so. I've been given many gifts, many moments in the woods. I've had more than my fair share of quality hunts.

Let someone else walk the trail, you're had your turn.

Last edited:

No.

There are plenty of roads, plenty of places that you can hunt from a truck let alone with a game cart. Leave the wild areas the f- alone.

Back