Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

DYI or Self Guided in Colorado

Maudib

Hi guys,

I have just started my research on doing a self guided Archery Elk hunt in Colorado.

So much to learn. It's just so expensive to go the guided ranch route and my buddy and I are thinking that a self guided hunt would also be more gratifying. Even if we don't score.

There are so many public hunting areas that it makes it hard to choose, but my first impressio is to select somewhere near the Rocky Mountain National Forest. Easier access from Denver airport, etc.

I've never hunted Elk and would read the books and watch vids. Am an avid whitetail hunter in Ohio and skilled in outdoorsmanship.

Any comments on the idea? Tips you used to be successful?

Good luck, the average is once every 5 years there, even though they have the most elk of any state. Get the state unit by unit stats., get maps. Elk Hunting the West: The Eastman Way by Mike Eastman, the Eastman hunting journal people is a very good book. So is the new one, Ask the Elk Guides, because it has a lot of questions for guides with a total of 300 years experience in all parts and subspecies of north American elk. The Eastman book is more about doing it.

You might consider hireing a guide, unless you want to spend a lot of time at it, 5 years, 5 vacations, 5 trips, 5 tags, is the average, but that includes people who live there and can scout, that would help, scouting. But, the average, say $1000/trip for 5 years, then you're at $5000. In Idaho you can hunt a bull at first, then use the same tag for a cow, if you don't get a bull still I think.

You've got a lot to figure out. You could do a guided, very high success cow elk hunt for $800-$900 in NM (plus travel and liscense expense) and learn a lot about elk fast, I think. Welcome, hope you have a thick skin.

PRIVATE LAND RIFLE COW ELK HUNT

The hunt occurs on one of the largest private ranches (566,000 acres) in Northeastern, New Mexico. This ranch holds one of the largest elk herds in the state of New Mexico. Last year 131 hunters harvested 131 cows on hunts on this ranch. These are free ranging wild elk cows. The cost of this hunt includes a guide, transportation during the hunt, a landowner's permit that guarantees you a license and the noonday meal. The hunter is responsible for motel, other meals, personal gear, weapon, transportation to and from the designated town, and license. When the cow is harvested it is transported to Raton to the meat processor for skinning and processing. It is the hunter’s responsibility to handle the arrangements with the processor.

Hunt Dates: December 2005 through Jan, 2006

Cost of Hunt with landowner permit included:
2x1 $850.00 + Lic.
1x1 $950.00 + Lic.
You have to have a min of 2 hunters to book a 2x1 hunt.

License: $300.00

Call Toll Free 1-877-647-9926 or email us at:
[email protected]

Yep... thick skinned and hard headed... :)

So you're estimating a 1 in 5 hunt success ratio? The nice thing is that you get 5 trips.. :)

I thought about getting a guide for the first hunt and learn from that... but again... have a year to look into it.

For me shooting an Elk with a gun just doiesn't do it for me. The up close challenge of bow is more to my liking. And I really don't want to hunt cows either.

I know I'd enjoy 5 years/visits/hunts/$5000 more than a $1500, sure thing rifle cow hunt.

Not that it's a bad thing... just not MY thing.

I sure do appreciate your input though... being harder than I thought was one of the expected responses... :)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back