Caribou Gear

Dust elimination in truck topper

bradr

Other than a dust elimination kit (which is pathetic at best), are there any suggestions for eliminating or cutting down the accumulation of dust in the bed of a truck that has a topper. I have an ARE topper with the foam strip around the tailgate area but it barely stops the dust.

I have found that leaving the front slider window open and the side ones closed is best. I did buy a roll of tailgate seal to help fill the bigger gaps around the tailgate

Park someplace dark then hop in the back and close everything up. Have a friend start shining a flashlight around from outside and stuff butyl or rtv tape into anyplace light shines through. I also used specific weatherstripping around the tailgate so it closes with a good seal ("ESI Ultimate" or the similar on Amazon), but did so more to keep water from getting sucked in.

It's a bit of a Sisyphean task as dust is still going to get in.

i know on cargo enclosed trailers they have a inlet vent at the front that lets air in and keeps the dusty rear vacum air out or mostly out? i would think that would work on a canopy for the same situation if mounted near the front of it to blow in "cleaner" air that the vacum dust storm at the rear.worth a try.

I put a tailgate seal on it and it helped, not cured, but helped.

What specifically is 13 bucks? E Trailer sells 1000 of products.
I've tried half a dozen seals,etc... Only thing that sort of works is cracking front & sides the exact right amount and air flow keeps most out. Sort of.
Rio hates riding in the back of the Tacoma now due to dust. He breaks into the front given half a chance.

Back