Dummies on the Tundra

Erik in AK

I already posted this on an AK board but its worthy of mention here too

For those of you intending to hunt the Haul Road (in case you weren't already aware) it is ILLEGAL to drive out onto the tundra.

On, or about, Wednesday 6 Sep, a group of hunters from one of our esteemed military installations walked in the five miles to hunt with rifles. They were even approched by a Trooper as they were about to depart. The Trooper told me he warned them of how much work was involved should they connect. They made it out and killed 3 bulls at 5.1 miles (this is about the only rule they didn't break). (FYI AK does not have Game Wardens--State Troopers do double duty)

Overwhelmed by the prospect of lugging three big animals back to the road they decided to walk out and drive back to the kill site. The first truck, a gray Ford made it nearly 3 miles before bogging down up to the axles. The situation at this point, evidently, wasn't bad enough to suit them so they decided to make it worse by sending the second, and only remaining truck to unstick the first. Truck #2, a red Dodge, made it about 500 yards before getting stuck. Truck #2 is visible from the road and is at this moment all the rage on CB channel 19.

These guys are in deep doo doo (as they should be) from the State, the BLM and probably the military. In this case, stupidity, while not immediately painful, will prove to be very costly. They are facing multiple fines for game law violations-primarily wanton waste (they left the hide on one of the bulls for 3 days....Mmmm tasty!). The BLM will be weighing in soon as to how the trucks get off the tundra and these guys will foot the bill in addition to the fine for going off road. Tundra is fragile and damage from tire tracks literally takes decades to "heal over". They will also probably pay for the costs of the damage assessment and reclamation. The conservative estimate is many thousands of dollars. I know what they make and this will hurt for a long time.

This is not heresay. I spoke with the owners of the two trucks and the Trooper. The pics were taken by the Alyeska helo pilot who picked them up.

I'm sure this will end up in the papers and these clowns have given all of us who hunt a black eye.....

When you come up here to hunt PLEASE act responsibly!!!
DO NOT leave your vehicle in the roadway
DO NOT park just below the crest of a hill
DO NOT interfere with someone else's stalk...it's not just chickensh!t...it's illegal
DO NOT pull up survey stakes for firewood
DO NOT take a dump in the few pull-outs available--dig a cat hole and bury it, or bag it and take it with you
DO NOT come up here unprepared--that means spare tires, tools, tow strap, emergency kit, tire plugs/fixaflat etc. spare gas, enough food and water
DO NOT assume that the DOT or Alyeska will bail you out for being unprepared
DO NOT hunt the pipeline right of way without a R.U.G. (a free pass from Alyeska)
DO NOT camp or park on the right of way
DO NOT block the pipeline access gates--you may park and camp to the side

Finally
DO remember that the semi's have the right of way on the Dalton

Attachments

• TD Dodge.JPG
    TD Dodge.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 361
  • TD Ford.JPG
    TD Ford.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 359
  • TD Departure.JPG
    TD Departure.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 326
Gotta be ground pounders :p That is unbelievable! I have pictures that I took a few years ago of a pickup truck that made it off the road about 200 yards. This was just north of the pass. It appeared to me the guy probably fell asleep at the wheel. Never did find out the story though.

Sorry Ovis,
They belong to us. (Most of my co-workers are ex-Army--it's getting unbearable)

PosteSnipo,
Another succinct example of why you're so beloved...
I'm sure you're comment is tongue-in-cheek (at least I hope so) but let me ask you this....

Would you knowingly engage in behavior, legal or or otherwise, that jeopardized continued hunter access to a given area?

Like you said Erik, dummies on the tundra, did you get out on your moose hunt yet, had to come into work a week early, so moose hunting this year is screwed, and now find out we are not switching schedules, so we get screwed next year as far as sheep and moose season goes. |oo |oo |oo |oo

Back