Caribou Gear

Dumb Question

Flatlander3

Coming from someone who has never hunting antelope, I always hear abot people playing the terrain to avoid their great eye sight. I don't hear anything with the wind regarding a antelope stalk. Is it necessary to play the wind for antelope?

Wind is always my first concern. No different than hunting anything else. They will catch movement from further out, sometimes you can use that to your advantage because they are curious animals. Of course that depends on what kind of pressure they're experiencing.

Yes wind is still a factor but doesn't seem to be as important as staying out of sight. I've had antelope wind me and blow out. I've also snuck right up on antelope directly up wind of them.

Coming from someone who has never hunting antelope, I always hear abot people playing the terrain to avoid their great eye sight. I don't hear anything with the wind regarding a antelope stalk. Is it necessary to play the wind for antelope?

Yes, antelope will spook if they detect your scent. That is where 80% of my stalks break is because they smell me. They rely on their eyesight though as primary means of defense and they like open flat areas compared to rolling hills. But yes, playing the wind is important too. Key is do they recognize a scent as a threat. If they are used to humans moving around their territory, they may or may not react to scent. In heavily hunted area, you will not get within rifle shot if they smell you.

Last edited:
Based on my one antelope hunt in Wyoming during the archery season this year, YES! Wind is most definitely a factor. In my extremely limited experience getting inside rifle range while ignoring the wind still seems like it would be easy, but once you break into the 100 yard bubble the wind better be right. That being said, I know how spooky they must be during rifle season so I would not take wind for granted during that period even at a distance.

Thanks for the response. It's an obvious answer to most other animals but just haven't heard a peep about it for antelope. Good information here.

I would also say that it is more important to play the wind in a heavily hunted area verse an area that doesn't get much pressure.

I am going to clarify how I answered a bit. Every antelope herd is different. They adjust to depredation threats. Antelope which are used to farmers and that driving around and walking around machinery are less likely to react to scent as they would on open BLM land where they regard humans as a threat. I hunt antelope mostly archery so I have to get within 50 yards for a good clean kill shot. You can easily get within 100 yards for rifle season by using the terrain for cover and they may or may not react to your scent. If you hunt Wyoming wind though, you want to be up or down wind or the deflection will throw your your shot off mark enough to miss the goat on a normally easy shot. I generally still play the wind at 100 yards because I noticed in my stalks that some react to my scent and stay just out of range of my bow and some don't react at all and I get within 50 yards.

I usually smell them before they smell me. I don't believe they can smell me when they are herded up with 50 of their stinky buddies.

An antelope's nose is not as keen as a deer or elk but they'll smell you if you're not careful. I've had them spook on my scent but not always, and not nearly as bad as elk. I think the couple times I can think of they were fairly close, like around 100yds.

I'd agree with the previous posts. At a distance, I believe their eyesight is their first line of defense. As you close the distance, scent will become an issue. I just try to hunt them like any other animal, play the wind and use the available terrain to your advantage.

I’ve only hunted them a couple of seasons, but agree with those who say BLM herds may be more sensitive to scent than farmland antelope. I’d say their eyes are their #1 best defense and will frustrate you silly until you find a way to sneak up on them, easier said than done on flat ground.

I also agree that staying out of the crosswind for shooting is extremely good advice. I will admit to making a bad hit on a buck at 300 yards by making that very mistake. I thought the wind had lulled and when I pressed the trigger - it hadn’t. I killed him with the second shot, but it made me sick to hurt him like that. Stay up or downwind and you won’t be as likely to make my mistake. Kill ‘em quick with one good hit and have no regret.

Antelope are always going to see you if you can see them. They may or may not run, but they can't see you if you are behind a hill or in an arroyo. You should always play the wind if you can, no sense giving them an opportunity to run off because you were being sloppy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back