Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

duck number

Not looking good for central flyway stopover spots in my neck of the woods. Severe drought last year in western Kansas creeping eastward. 100 degree days marching into the future. Ponds, watersheds and lakes shrinking. Come on rain!!

Nearly 50 million ducks is great. I had a very good duck season last year with over 50 ducks, exclusively on public land and water. My two year old pointing black lab retrieved them all. Can't wait until this year's opener.

What was last years duck counts for comparison? With an aging lab and plenty of big game tags in my pocket the last few years, I haven't paid much attention to duck hunting. I've got a new pup this year, so I'm getting excited for duck season again this year.
2012-07-01_06-26-57_689.jpg

Ron

Looked it up myself and the numbers look good. I've heard people say that last year was a great year (even down here in AZ), so I'm looking forward to this year!

Total duck populations were estimated at 45.6 million breeding ducks on the surveyed area. This estimate represents an 11 percent increase over last year’s estimate of 40.9 million birds and is 35 percent above the 1955-2010 long-term average. This was only the fifth time in the survey’s history that the total duck population exceeded 40 million.

http://www.ducks.org/conservation/waterfowl-surveys/duck-numbers-remain-strong-as-pond-counts-approach-record-levels?poe=whatsnew

Ron

Here in MT the lakes I hunt have gone from Mallards to Gadwalls, Widgeons, Teal and golden eyes.

And if the weather stays warm, AR and SEMO will suck again!!!
But the teal and Greys will show in LA....probably Cans too.
Based on count, we now have to wait to see what "they" do to Sprig limit.....

I'm glad to see the numbers are up, but those ducks would be just as well to walk south this fall, it looks like we wont have enough water for them to land on if they fly!

first year for my boy to shoot, hope they stop and play with us for a while

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back