Dubya to remove Anglers from Commenting on Dams

JoseCuervo

Obviously Dubya is a friend of the Hunting and Fishing community... hump
SEATTLE, Oct. 27 -- The Bush administration has proposed giving dam owners the exclusive right to appeal Interior Department rulings about how dams should be licensed and operated on American rivers, through a little-noticed regulatory tweak that could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the hydropower industry.

The proposal would prevent states, Indian tribes, anglers, and environmental groups from making their own appeals, while granting dam owners the opportunity to take their complaints -- and suggested solutions -- directly to senior political appointees in the Interior Department.

The proposal, which is subject to public comment but can be approved by the administration without congressional involvement, would use the president's rule-making power to circumvent opposition to the idea among Senate Democrats. They killed an administration-backed energy bill that included similar language, for which the hydropower industry had lobbied.

The proposed rule comes at a pivotal time in the history of the hydropower industry. Most privately owned dams were built -- and granted 30-to-50-year federal licenses -- in an era before federal environmental laws required protection for fish and other riverine life. In the next 15 years, licenses for more than half of the country's privately owned dams will come up for renewal.

The hydropower industry has complained that to comply with the law and renew their licenses with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, dam owners are being forced to pay large settlements to mitigate the environmental harm that dams cause fish and communities that depend on fish. The typical settlement cost is about $10 million, the industry has said, but some settlements have been as much as $200 million. By allowing the industry the exclusive right to present alternative settlement ideas, the proposed appeal rule could substantially reduce the cost of renewing a dam license.

Dam owners "would be facing an extremely high cost and very uncertain benefits," said Lynn Scarlett, the assistant secretary at Interior for policy, management and budget who approved the proposed rule. "Giving them some ability to voice their concern and present alternatives seemed appropriate."

Scarlett said other interest groups, during earlier stages in the licensing process, would retain their right to be heard.

The proposal has generated widespread criticism from Democrats in Congress and attorneys general in several states, from Indian tribes and environmental groups and from some high-level officials and scientists in the Interior Department.

"As was true of the failed Republican energy bill, the administration's hydro proposal would protect utility profits at the expense of fish, wildlife and conservation values," said Rep. John D. Dingell (D-Mich.), ranking member of the Energy and Commerce Committee. "The proposal disregards fundamental rules of procedural fairness, granting business unprecedented preferential status. States, Indian tribes, conservationists and the rest of the public are relegated to a much lesser role."

Indian leaders said the proposal would betray the federal government's legal responsibility to tribes.

"This undermines the very trust responsibility that Interior is supposed to be the lead department in protecting," said Tex G. Hall, president of the National Congress of American Indians, the nation's largest tribal advocacy group. "You would think they don't get it, or they are doing it on purpose."

Inside the Interior Department, some lawyers have argued that the appeals proposal -- three years in the making before being published last month in the Federal Register -- is unconstitutional because it violates due process and equal protection guarantees.

"It is not legal because one party is being treated very differently than another, and that is very much the opposite of what we have been trying to do for years," said one senior Interior Department official who is involved in the dispute and who requested anonymity for fear of retaliation. "Suddenly, a licensee can walk away from everybody else and have a private meeting with the assistant secretary and bring in new conditions that haven't been reviewed by anybody before."

The department acknowledged on Wednesday that there have been "discussions" among its lawyers on the legality of the proposal, which will be open to public comment until Nov. 8. The department can then, with the approval of the Office of Management and Budget, issue a final rule that has the power of law.

Scientists in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which is part of the Interior Department, have also said the proposal would limit the ability of states, tribes and private groups to influence resource management decisions in their own back yards while putting the decisions about dam operations into the hands of political appointees who may not understand the harm dams cause.

"It allows industry to go in and speak their piece without having to deal with the concerns of all the other stakeholders along a river," said an Interior Department official who has worked for many years on the dam relicensing process and who asked not to be identified by name, also for fear of retaliation.

The hydropower licensing law was written in 1920, and the industry had few problems with it for nearly six decades -- until tribes and environmental groups figured out how to use the law in a way that cost the industry a lot of money.

In most nearly every recent relicensing, the industry has been on the defensive. "The process is broken," Julie Kiel, director of dam licensing for Portland General Electric in Oregon, said before a House subcommittee last year. "Almost every hydropower stakeholder wants to see it repaired."

Ten Bears, Even you should be smart enough to see the intent of this new proposal by Dubya. You think he's worried about the common man being represented in dam licensing issues? Once again, Dubya screws wildlife.

Buzz,

I just wish ol' Ten Beers would get done with the 3rd grade, as this type of issue requires at least a 4th grade education to understand....

Sounds like a fair deal.
Get use to it guys, we have at least four more years of someone with some common sence in the whitehouse that doesn't favor the inviro-nut's and there sue happy lawyer's.

MD- This could also set a precendence where certain user groups (ie ATVers) are not able to submit comments on things like wilderness proposals! Or that ranchers (or the flip side environmentalist/conservationist) can't comment on grazing proposals/issues.

This is a lose/lose, IMO. When dealing with federal lands and federal dollars I think it is important that our elected representatives HAVE to take into account ALL interested parties.

Also, it's not only the the 'inviro-nut's' as you put it who are filing lawsuits. ATV user groups and ranchers do and will continue to file lawsuits.

I agree with pointer and nut on this one, no real winner.

Thats what troubles me, is that people like MD4ME actually believe they are "winning" when their own rights are flushed down the crapper...

Wow! If thats winning, I'd sure hate to see what happens when they lose.

I guess if you never bothered to comment before, you're not really losing anything??:confused: I don't understand how removing the public's right to comment is a good thing...

Oak,

Good point, I think theres only a small handful of people on this board that are very active in the various processes of making things happen...and I dont think MD4ME is one, let me rephrase, I know she's not. If she were, she'd never think this stupid assed idea was one to mark up in the "win" column.

I think she proved she is not too worried about leaving anything for future generations to hunt and fish on her post a few weeks back. She is far worse than any PETA group is to the hunting and fishing crowd.

I'm with the spotted owl on this one. How much of their habitat is getting leveled just to document all complaints from a few persistant whiners?

G. W. is also looking out for the "little guy" on this one, making sure electricity is available and affordable for everyone. What's truely amazing is, since his place runs off solar power, he doesn't even have a dog in this hunt.

Sounds like win win to me.

Paul

What's win/win about not allowing comments? That's the biggest hurdle for me. I'm not worried about the price of electricity.

Paul's been drinking again???

BigHornRam said:
I'm with the spotted owl on this one. How much of their habitat is getting leveled just to document all complaints from a few persistant whiners?

G. W. is also looking out for the "little guy" on this one, making sure electricity is available and affordable for everyone. What's truely amazing is, since his place runs off solar power, he doesn't even have a dog in this hunt.

Sounds like win win to me.

Paul

Is the Whitehouse really Solar Powered? :rolleyes:

Pointer,

Why do you feel you deserve representation on this issue? You and the rest of the anti-dam coalition on this site have yet to come up with any resonable realistic commnets or solutions to this issue. I find it ironic that the only person who has done anything personally to remove themselves from hydo-electric dependence, is the one being attacked in the beginning of this topic. You guy's ought to spend more time leading by example then whining.

Remember the dog humper on the Kifaru site? I recall you praising this guy's thought process a time or two. You showed off you hand on that one. You subscribe to that kind of fringe thinking. So again, why does the Michael Moron mentality deserve a seat at the table? Why should normal thinking people waste valuable time and resources to document the views of a few vocal extremists? Your comment about not carring what the price of electricity is instantly makes the rest of your views irrellevent.

Pointer, your a smart kid, and you know how the game is played. Complain, lawsuit, obstruct. Anything to get your way. The rest of us are sick of it. Grow up.

Paul

Gunner,

Try Crawford, Texas.

How many of those mansions Kerry's "family" owns runs off solar power? Dan Blather or Michael Moron didn't give you the answer to this one, did they.

Paul

I feel that I deserve representation on this issue because it is dealing with either a federal resource or federal monies. Besides, NEPA (to this point) requires that public comment be heard. The federal agency doesn't have to do anymore than prove that the considered/analyzed the comments. Comments themselves do not stop an action, unless the federal agency feels that they are credible enough. Comments and appeals/protests are not the same thing. For proper resource management I think it is prudent to hear all sides of all issues before one proceeds. Yes, even the squeaky wheel. But if overwhelming support for the project, remember these resources are to be managed for the greater good, does not agree with the squeaky wheel at least that POV has been aired/heard.

IIRC the only thing I supported from the dog-humper at Kifaru is that wolves are not unilaterly evil and should be wiped out. I still feel that way. Wolves in the ecosystem are good, IMO. The only problem I have with wolves currently is there is very little addressing their population sizes. With proper management I have no problems with wolves, which I hoping will come about sooner than later.

I don't appologize for positioning myself and working hard enough that even a 100% increase in my electric bill will not break me financially. I have and will do without in the future, but am happy/content with the life and lifestyle I've chosen. Others that are too financially strapped that they cannot bear an increase in their electric bill have bigger issues.

Yes, there are a few things that I complain about, but I have never filed a lawsuit of any sort. I have also not obstructed anything else. What I have done is try to make things better, hence my career choice. I have to deal with what you are accusing me of doing, I'm not doing it!

BHR, You really should stay out of the dam issue, since you're still totally ignorant about it, in spite of all the educational posts we've had on it. In fact, you shouldn't post on any issues that require brains to understand. I recommend you limit your posts to the Joke section.

O. K. Pointer,

We've all heard Buzz, IT, and Gunner's POV on this issue. Whats yours? I can only recall a few insignificant comments of yours.

As for your views on the cost of electricity, fairly elitist attitude wouldn't you say? You may not care what the cost of electricity is, but most other people do. This is an important fact you need to consider before forming your opinion. Would the cost of electricity be more of a concern for you if it resulted in a pink slip? I'm not going to debate economics with you because obviously you slept through that class. But your narrow view of this does not allow you to see any remotely distant cause and effect.

Back