Drought

TLC

how will this drought effect your hunting out west this year? see colorado especially is in the extreme category. going to be hunting near remaining water sources more than usual?

ROFLMAO Going to be in Colorado this October for the second rifle. Not sure if the drought will have much of a effect by the time I am there. Surely it will have broken by then.

I was up on the Grand Mesa last weekend and with the recent rains it was still green, and even off the Mesa rim the vegetation "looked" average growth.

I plan to hunt the 3rd season again in unit 711, but will focus more on the steeper canyons and aspen seeps that will hold water through the fall. I seem to have better luck during average to dry years, since it requires animals to travel more and/or they stay put in good growth areas. I had a much tougher time last year locating legal bulls.

My buddy in Sheridan just went up over the mountains to the west side yesterday and said it was still green up high, but very brown and dry down at the lower elevations where we hunt.

I seem to have better luck during average to dry years, since it requires animals to travel more and/or they stay put in good growth areas. I had a much tougher time last year locating legal bulls.

That has been my experience too.

do ya think that might put antelope more in the semi- hilly areas than down on the flats,,,I would amagine the areas would be greener,,,more food?

I was up on the Grand Mesa last weekend and with the recent rains it was still green, and even off the Mesa rim the vegetation "looked" average growth.

I plan to hunt the 3rd season again in unit 711, but will focus more on the steeper canyons and aspen seeps that will hold water through the fall. I seem to have better luck during average to dry years, since it requires animals to travel more and/or they stay put in good growth areas. I had a much tougher time last year locating legal bulls.

Same here Pagosa, first season...haven't spoken to any locals recently but they were getting rain a couple weeks ago that helped put on the rez fire.

The rains will come and go but the wolves will come to stay and put an end to your outdoor experience as you now know it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back