Drought for the west

It isnt just fireworks.

Saw some folks in the Nat Forest just the other day shooting off rounds into targets on the dry hillside.

You know it must be bad when we are having a "fire weather watch" in NW Wisconsin, which I can't ever remember happening in June-usually Wisconsin is very wet. My lake is already noticeably down, luckily rain is on the way for Sunday

Very disappointing to here how bad it is in the west, hope some relief is on the way

It sounds like Bill Gates venture to spray dust into the atmosphere to block the sun is becoming a better idea.
He wants to develop sun-dimming technology that would potentially reflect sunlight out of Earth’s atmosphere, triggering a global cooling effect. The Stratospheric Controlled Perturbation Experiment (SCoPEx), launched by Harvard University scientists, aims to examine this solution by spraying non-toxic calcium carbonate (CaCO3) dust into the atmosphere — a sun-reflecting aerosol that may offset the effects of global warming. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/geoengineers-inch-closer-sun-dimming-balloon-test

Drouth?
Hmmm.... we had a bout of that in 2010,11,12,13 and 14 here is southern Oklahoma.
In 2011, we had 89 days of +100° temps.
Forty nine consecutive days of +100° temps.
Thirteen days of +110° days that topped out at 117°F.
Not one, single, solitary drop of rain all summer.
The local reservoir was reduced to 20% capacity and became a mere mud hole.
It was so hot, does abandoned their fawns. They weren't able to nurse them.
Deer came to a local golf course where they could get water and "green". Instead of mowing the fast growing greens, groundskeepers would remove 20 to 60 dead deer from the greens and fairways....EVERY DAY!
Yeppers! Know what a drouth is!
All you can do is pray for rain!

Anyone have information on Northeast Utah. I know its in a drought but per the drought map not as bad as others. I ask because I drew the Cache South Late Rifle Elk tag and I have never been there so I am trying to understand the area but now trying to figure out how to hunt it in a extreme drought year. I know things could be different by November but this weather I think will definitely factor in on there feeding habits and health for many months to come even after the extreme hot seasons

Anyone have information on Northeast Utah. I know its in a drought but per the drought map not as bad as others. I ask because I drew the Cache South Late Rifle Elk tag and I have never been there so I am trying to understand the area but now trying to figure out how to hunt it in a extreme drought year. I know things could be different by November but this weather I think will definitely factor in on there feeding habits and health for many months to come even after the extreme hot seasons
It’s bad.

Which region? Seems like the southwest is sucking up teams left and right.

All the Cibola districts just announced stage 2 fire restrictions along with the portion of the Kiowa Grassland that has been in stage 2 since March. Really incredible how dry the southwest is right now.
She flew out to Arizona Saturday.

Yes conditions will change for the late hunt but unfortunately the likelihood of significant fires altering landscape is high.

Got a good rain today in the Beartooths. Grasses were already brown, dry, and crackly beforehand, tho. Any little bit helps.
I fished the clarks fork yesterday near mt line, dont remember ever walking across it in june before. Todays little rain and cloud cover was a needed break, hope it helped that fire out. I am afraid of something stupid like a cigarette starting up a big one, woods are dry.

Which region? Seems like the southwest is sucking up teams left and right.

All the Cibola districts just announced stage 2 fire restrictions along with the portion of the Kiowa Grassland that has been in stage 2 since March. Really incredible how dry the southwest is right now.
I've got some serious sentimental attachment to the Kiowa, wish it the best.

The drought projections from 10-15 years ago predicted this, which is a big reason why we moved to SE AK instead of the Rocky Mountain west. My thinking is this isn't a "drought" per-se, with an end point. This is the new normal of progressively hotter and drier conditions interspersed with an occasional wetter period. I've read studies that report that after a forest burns in the region a very different system grows back, similar to those hundreds of miles to the south.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back