MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Drought for the west

Not my wheelhouse, but CO River Compact is about to hit the fan I betcha.

Idaho:
A meteorologist on Tuesday told Republican Gov. Brad Little and other elected officials of the Idaho Land Board the state had its second driest spring in the last 126 years and one of its hottest previous 12 months.

Nick Nauslar with the National Interagency Fire Center says nearly 80% of the state is immersed in drought and the rest of the state will likely go into drought over the next several months.

The Smith River is at 128 cfs. That's 70 cfs below the lowest previously recorded flow for this date. Rafts need about 250 in there and canoes need 150. Imagine drawing one of those permits, and the second week of June your trip is cancelled.

In the fantastic film "Back From the Brink", it is documented that Montana did not have a hunting season for many years to let animal populations recover. The people of Montana did that, and I wonder if something similar may be necessary for fishing season on many streams this summer.

I was on the Gila two weeks ago. Where I was in the PJ, there would have to be significant wind for a fire to spread because there is zero fuel between PJ trees. No grass at all. The cattle and elk have it eaten down to dirt.

View attachment 185993

The drought is definitely real, I mean I usually only have 2 beers with dinner on the road and tonight with the drought I had to have 3 to rehydrate😳......
Those Frost Brew Liners (tm) they put on those Silver Bullets really cool things down. You should start tossing your empties into the rivers to help the trout by dropping temps a bit. Science.

San Juan National Forest also went to Stage 1 restrictions today. Friends evacuated this afternoon due to the Vosburg Pike fire, which just started today.

We're not in pre-evac, but the fire is a little less than six miles from here, in the direction the prevailing wind comes from... Hoping it stays small and the winds stay calm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back